Episode 10 - First Landmark

The Night Pride set off towards the Arbre de la Vie.  The first landmark was a river.  They managed to reach it, and were immediately greeted by a tiger.  It smelled male, but also a hint of sadness.  His words were quiet, and he seemed really shy.

"What's wrong?"  Ushujaa asked.

A female tiger came running out of a den, hearing Ushujaa's question.

"I should explain," she said.  "Do any of know Varya?"

"She's at the Tree of Life," Fermet jumped in before Risasi could speak.  He didn't trust her not to snap at the tiger.  "She has a lion for a mate."

"Good," the female tiger responded.  "Vos here, his mother is Varya.  She was abused by her mate, who only allowed her to take three of her cubs.  Vos had to be left behind, against Varya's wishes.  His father abused him until I came here."

"I got to know Polosa," Vos added, "and I fell in love with her.  My dad didn't agree with her being my mate, but she gave me the courage to stand up to him."

"Are you two okay?"  Ushujaa asked.

"We're better than okay now," Polosa explained.  "I'm expecting cubs."

"That's nice and all," Risasi started, her voice hard before Fermet gave her a hard glance.  Her voice softened.  "Sorry.  I'm not myself right now."

She wouldn't be asking for shaant in front of two strangers.  She could handle herself for a little while.

"Are you okay?"  Polosa looked at the scar on Risasi's eye.

"Not completely," Risasi explained.  "We're trying to get to Arbre de la Vie for healing."

"At the Montagnes des Pumas?"  Polosa asked.  "We had two lions that looked like you and your companion over there come her that wanted to go to the same place.  Feel free to stay here the night.  It's getting fairly dark, and it'll be dark for a while where you're going.  Get fairly cold over at the Montagnes de Pumas, as well."

"Thanks," Risasi said.  "We won't stay here for too long, but we can stay with you for a little."

Polosa showed the Night Pride where they could sleep, and Risasi lied down.  Fermet lied down next to her and pressed himself against her.  There was no doubt that the two tigers knew they were different species, and putting his paw over his mate might seem a little too intimate for them.

"I don't really care what they think," Risasi said through thought, "you can put your paws on me.  I need something to take my mind off the pain."

"It's still bothering you?"  Fermet asked, complying with his mate's request.  She turned and returned the gesture.

"Thanks," Risasi said, "I feel so bad, like I'm using you."

"You're not," Fermet assured.  "I love you, and I want you to be happy.  If you need, I can take over the Night Pride."

"When I can't think straight," Risasi said.  "After I get some shaant, it'll just feel like a minor cut."

Risasi immediately fell into dream, not hearing Fermet's answer if there was one.  She was leading the Night Pride through the mountains; it almost exactly the same to her dream, other than Risas and Ushujaa were there as well.  It happened like normal, they were out of shaant, she growled and picked up the pace.  The only difference was after she Roared at Harako and Fermet.  After she Roared, she looked down, tears running down her face.  The tears were making her scar burn, but it didn't stop her from feeling bad.  Risas came up to her.

"Have you finally realized your destiny?"  He asked.

"I'm not hurting my friends anymore," Risasi sobbed in response.  How could she have Roared at the two animals she cared the most about?  It wasn't like her.  Sure, she'd lose her temper at times, but never control of the Roar.  Calm down, Risasi, she told herself.  Make sure Fermet and Harako are okay.  The Arbre de la Vie is close.  Risas seemed to have snapped out of his trance, as well.

"What was that?"  He asked.

Risasi didn't answer.  Instead, she started running in the direction she saw Harako and Fermet go.  They were lying down, their eyes closed.

"Fermet?"  Risasi asked with a weak voice.  "Harako?"

"We're still alive," Fermet assured.

"Just a little weak," Harako added.  Before Risasi could respond, everything faded to black.

When Risasi woke up, Fermet was standing over her, worried.  She stood up and shook herself, trying to forget her dream.

"Are you okay?"  Fermet asked.  "You were moving all over and whimpering in your sleep."

"It was just a dream," Risasi said.  A dream that's been getting worse each time I've had it.  And this shaapit scar isn't making it any better.

"Do you want to tell me about it?"  Fermet asked.

"When we're alone," Risasi answered quietly.  "Night Pride?"

"We're all awake," Harako said.

"Let's go," Risasi said.  She turned to the tigers.  "Thanks for letting us stay here the night, but we need to go.  The faster we get to the Montagnes des Pumas, the better."

"No problem," Vos responded.  "It'll get cold and dark where you're going.  Head north to the coast, then east to an ocean.  It's not that big, but you'll have to cross it."

"Thanks again," Risasi said, trying to keep her temper under control.  The Night Pride set out to their next landmark: an ocean.  On the way there, Risasi pulled her mate aside to talk to him.

"Is this about your dream?"  Fermet asked.

"Yes," Risasi said.  "I've been having it for a while, but I thought it stopped when you became my mate.  It came back, but worse than normal."

Risasi explained about her dream, earning a sympathetic look from Fermet.

"I don't believe you'd ever do that," he assured.  "To me, or Harako."

"But I have this scar," Risasi responded.  "I'll lose control of the Roar eventually."

"We have some shaant," Fermet assured.

"But not in my dream," Risasi countered.

"There's no point being pessimistic," Fermet assured.  "We'll catch that rabbit when we come to it."

The two cats went back to the Night Pride and continued on.