Red

Hailey POV

The whole "seeing color when you meet your soulmate." Thing is bullshit. I have spent 18 damn years dating and meeting people trying to meet mine and nothing has happened. All my friends seem so happy with their soulmates, they tell me color is amazing. I just want to see color so bad. I throw my stuff in my bag, my plain old black and white bag. What do colors even look like? It makes me so angry that others can see them. My parents say I'll eventually find someone but it's so easy for them, they have been seeing colors for years! Ugh and today I'm partnered with that stupid tomboy Erin who is supposed to be really mean. I take a deep breath then go outside.

I pull up to school in my Jeep and step out, everyone seems to be having fun but I just want to get inside.

I get to class early and take a seat. I fiddle with my thumbs for awhile until more classmates file into class. Erin sits down next to me and I shuffle my chair away from her. I put my head on the table and before I know it the teacher tells us to get with our partners and work on the history presentation about world war whatever. Erin turns to me. She reaches out her hand.
"My names Erin."
I take her hand annoyed.
"My names Hailey."
She nods at me and I notice something weird about her face, her eyes... they are so strange. I notice she staring back at me too with a confused look on her face. I look down to her nose, and then her hair, it's dark... but a different type of dark. I then look around the classroom, it's filled with this weird thing, it's like the light is playing tricks on me. Then it clicks... its color... it's so beautiful. Wait. Erin is my fucking soulmate!?! Oh hell no! I look back at her and she is still staring at me.
"What the hell are you staring at me for, we have a project." I pull my hand away from her but feel wrong about it. For some reason my face feels really warm, I think I'm sick, there is no way she is my soulmate I'm just sick. Why else would my face heat up.
"Whatever." Erin replies and I start to feel like crap, my stomach moves in a way I didn't think was possible.
"I think I'm going to be sick." I say then rush out of the classroom to the bathrooms. As I'm running down the halls all the colors are springing at me, it's to overwhelming. My friend Alice passes me in the halls.
"Hey, Hailey are you okay?" She ask. I have no time to stop. I run into the bathroom and lock myself into a stall, I close my eyes and everything is normal again. There is still black? I just need to keep my eyes closed. No more colors. I hear the bathroom door open. A sliding noise comes from near my and I feel someone sit down next to me.
"Umm Hailey?"
It's Alice.
"H-help me." I beg not wanting to open my eyes.
"What's wrong?" She asks.
"Everything's so weird, I think... ummm Alice?" I ask.
"Yeah Hailey?" She replies.
"What does color look like?" I question sheepishly.
"Omg! Hailey did you meet your soulmate!?! Who is he?!? This is so great. Omg your probably overwhelmed sorry! But like who is he."
"Ummm, can we just talk about something else. Can you help me. I'm just so confused right now."
I ask.
"Okay." She agrees. I look up at her, I knew her hair was light but this is a different type of light. And her eyes are that way too, but darker than her hair. She holds up a pencil.
"Alright, this is yellow... like my hair. Oh and thin pen is blue, like my eyes." I nod slowly trying to remember the names. She goes on and on with words like pink and red and green. God it's so confusing. Soon the door opens again.
"Umm Hailey are you in here?"
I hear Erins voice.
"What do you want?" Alice says protectively our of the stall. Of course she has to hate Erin.
"To talk to her you little rat." Erin snaps back.
"You better get your sorry ass out-." Alice starts but I interrupts
"Alice it's okay... I'll see you at lunch." Alice looks stunned as I step out of the stall. She sighs and leaves the bathroom. Erin takes a step towards me and I back up.
"Do you notice anything different... because something happened and I want to know if it happened to you too." She questions stepping closer again. I step back but hit the bathroom wall. She's a few feet away from me.
"That's none of your business." I reply, causing her to step in closer and my stomach is doing what feels like triple back flips.
"Okay, listen here, if you're ducking with me right now and nothing out of the ordinary happened to you then I will personally make sure you won't walk out of here." She growls and my face heats up again, what the hell is happening with my body. Erin is wearing a hoodie, she has ripped jeans and her hair is I think brow. with green? Eyes?
"Okay... something maybe did happen to me..." I admit. Erin steps closer and grins. She is pretty close to me now.
"You scared?" She teases and lifts my chin up so our eyes meet. My breath hitches, I get a mixed feeling of excitement, fear, and longing in me. It's strange.
"Y-yes..." I stupidly let out, I can't help it. It's like I'm frozen here. She takes my hand and puts a piece of paper in it. Then she's off. I open the paper and it has a phone number / address. This is going to be a long day.