Please Don't Cry

Hailey POV

I walk into my house and shut the door behind me. I turn around and practically leap when I see my mom stand there.
"Mom what the hell!?!" I yell.
"I know where you were." She says.
"What do you mean?" I try to play it off like I do t know what's she's talking about.
"You were not at the library." She states.
"And what makes you think that?" I scoff.
"I put a tracker on the car GPS." She says.
"What?" My expression drops and I feel my heart sink.
"Give me the car keys." She demands.

I clench my fist around the key to the point where it starts to hurt.
"If you think taking away everything I care about is going to make me more obedient then you're a horrible mother." I say.
"Hailey Goldeen give me the car keys now!" She yells.

I bolt out the door and jump in the car. It's still warm from when I left it. I start it quickly and pull out of the driveway as I watch my mother run after it yelling.

I drive off with no idea of where to go. Then I remember... the tracker. I stop the car and leap out of it and bolt through yards and jump over fences. I end up on a small somewhat familiar street. I try to think of anywhere I could stay.

I look around trying to get my bearings. It's pitch black outside. The closest house would be Alice's... but that's three miles away. What other choice do I have?

I start walking, not looking forward to what's ahead.

~

I go to knock on Alice's door then remember it's 2:00 AM. I go around to the back and try to open Alice's window... but it's locked. Alice never locks her window unless... unless they are on their summer vacation trip.

How could I be so stupid? They always leave around the end of summer. I fall to my knees not wanting to walk anymore. My legs and feet hurt and I just wish Erin was here to carry me home, not my parents home, not her parents house, our home. The one we got together, the one we opened our first paychecks in. The one where we stayed up so late laughing and talking that we barely could find our way around work the next day.

I fall on my back on the wet grass and start to sob. Shivering myself to sleep.

~

I wake up and it's late into the next day. I sit up and look at all the grass stains I have Down one side of me. I look around and remember that the prison is only a mile from Alice's house. I need to see Erin.

I start walking. Even though my feet ache and my back hurts. I walk and walk until I feel like I'm going to fall down and then I keep walking.

It takes maybe an hour before I reach the front gates of the prison. It's the only fence in this building of thick walls. I see a group of people running and another group playing what seems like basketball.
"Hailey?" I hear a familiar voice call my name. I see Erin running towards me quickly.

"Erin." I wish I could fall into her arms.
"Love what happened." Erin holds my hands on the fence where I'm using them to hold myself up.
"She was going to stop me from seeing you... I had to leave." I say feeling light headed.
"Woah woah woah, baby, take some deep breaths. Let sit down." Erin says and slowly sits down. I follow her lead but I fall down on my ass trying to go slow.

"Baby, I'm going to go inside and ask Deb for a visit with you. So we can see each other really." I say trying to get up.
"Love sit for just a few more minutes." Erin says. I listen to her and sit back down trying to keep my eyes open.
"Did you sleep outside?" Erin asks picking out grass from my hair.
"Yeah... I walked to Alices house from midnight to 2:00 AM," I yawn, "then I realized they weren't there so I slept outside and walked here."

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Knights little girlfriend." A few girls walk up to Erin. Erin scowls.
"Fuck off." She turns around the face them.
"You really wanna talk to us like that? It's three vs one Knight." A girl with blonde dreads and pink tips says, she seems kinda small.

"Hailey baby," Erin turns to me, "I want you to go inside and ask Deb for a visit okay?"
"I can't just leave you here." I say while getting up and pressing myself against the fence. In one swift move on of the girls kicks my stomach from the other side of the fence. "Ugh!" I fall down holding my stomach.
"Hailey go." Erin says while she starts to walk towards the girl who kicked me.
"Erin-"
"Go!" She yells.

I run to the front entrance and to debs desk.
"Deb I need a visit right now." I say.
"What happened to you hun?" She looks concerned.
"Some girls are attacking Erin in the front yard I need a visit." I repeat myself.
"Okay darlin' I'm on it." Deb picks up her phone and talks to a few people. "She'll be here in 15 minutes." She says.
"Thank you." I sigh out in relief.

"Now will you please tell me why you're like that?" Deb says moving out from behind her desk and leading me to the waiting chairs. We both sit down and I anxiously wait for Erin to be ready.
"My mom said she would take my car keys away from visiting Erin. So I ran off and tried to stay at my friends house four miles away but after the first mile I remembered the car had a tracker so I walked the next three until I realized they were on vacation when I got there. I slept in their front yard and started to walk two miles here when I woke up." I explain.
"And the boot print on your shirt?" Deb point to my stomach. I look down and see a boot print with some X marks on them from the fence.
"I went up to the fence and some girl kicked me in the stomach." I say.
"What did she look like?" Deb asks.
"She has brown hair with overgrown bangs and she was actually really short for someone who packed so much of a punch." I say.
"Ah yes I know here. She's one of the main girls Erin gets into fights with. Besides her roommate who everyone calls dreads." Deb says.
"I bet dreads is the girl who started it this morning." I say.
"Well I will be sure to talk to them." Deb says.

A ding from Debs desk goes off.
"Alright you can go to the visiting room now hun, but don't leave right away after. If you're really having that much trouble with your parents then I can offer you a place to stay for a little while." Deb says.
"You don't have to-"
"Nonsense, now go be with your soulmate." She says.

I want to argue but I want to be with Erin more. I get up and make my way to the visiting room without directions or help. I've gotten to know every aspect of the visiting parts of this place.

I enter the room and see Erin sitting there with a bloody lip. I run over and tackle her down to the couch and lay on top of her. I hold her tight and keep my head nuzzled in the crook of her neck.
"Hailey love, I'm right here." Erin soothes me. I feel tears coming on, I really don't want to cry in front of her but I can't help it.
"Shh no Hailey, please don't cry. I hate it when you cry." Erin sits up and pushes me slightly away so she can see my face. She places a hand on my cheek and brushes a tear away with her thumb.

She pulls me in a kisses me. I sigh into it and rest my forehead against hers once we pull away. I shouldn't be crying, Erin has it so much worse than me and I'm just weak.

I push Erin down again on the couch and lay on top of her. I'm so tired and I want to just fall asleep with her holding me. She starts to rub my back and I can't stay awake any longer.

~

I wake up and Erin is still rubbing my back. For the first time in forever I feel well rested.
"How long-"
"Deb got us another hour." Erin whispers.
"Of course she did." I say with a laugh.
"I've been eating, or at least trying to." Erin says and I smile.