Detention

Me and Maya are in the middle of tagging right outside the principles room when we hear someone clear their throat behind us. We turn to find the principle staring right at us.
"Hey Mr. Kaytle..." I say.
"Both of you remove the bandanas right now." He says. That's when I realize he doesn't know who we are yet.
"Check!" I yell. It's me and Th e groups key word for 'get the hell outta there'. Me and Maya dash off with our spray cans jingling in our bags. Until we both turn the corner and run into a campus security guard.
Shit...
Let's just say he had a lot to say about our little stunt.

***

Me and Maya walk to detention at the end of the day groaning and complaining. We enter and some old science teacher for the freshmen is sitting at his desk reading a book. Maya and I sit down in the corner when I hear my backpack buzzing.
Shit!
I forgot to text Hailey that I wasn't able to drive us home until later today. Ugh, we are already on bad terms. I should have just taken her hand this morning, she was trying to make up for dropping it in the first place and I just let my anger issues get the best of me.

I reach for my bag when I hear a smack. It's the detention teacher smacking a yard stick in the chalk board.
"No going in your bag! You will sit and face the front For an hour!" He says in a thick accent.
"But sir, I need to tell my girlfriend I can't driver her-"
"Silence." He yells and puts his headphones on. I turn to Maya and her mouth is wide open.
"Girlfriend!" She whisper yells.
Shoot I said that out loud.
"Since when!?! Oh my god it's that Hailey girl isn't it! Can you see color again!" She bombards me with questions and I shush her but not in time.
"I said silence! Unless you want detention tomorrow!" The teacher screeches.

My bag continues buzzing for awhile.

About every ten minutes it would start buzzing again. I couldn't help but hope Hailey wasn't waiting in the cold outside.

"Dismissed." The teacher said and I immediately open my bag and grab my phone while running out of the room. I had miss thirty seven calls from Hailey and a huge array of texts. I click one of the missed call notifications and immediately dial her.

After a few rings she picks up.

"Where the fuck were you!" I hear through the phone.
"Baby I'm sorry." I say. I hear Maya leave detention and stop when she gets close to me but I don't care.
"Don't 'baby' me! Where the hell where you?!?" Hailey screams. I hear a chatter which means she probably is outside. Locked out from all the buildings.
"I was in detention." I say desperately.
"And you didn't think to tell me! I've been locked outside for an hour Erin! Just because I was scared of holding your hand doesn't mean you can ignore me!" My eyes start tearing up.
"I forgot! I'm sorry Hailey please. Please trust me and know that I forgot. I was a little aggravated but I wouldn't do this to you! I care so much about you please believe me." I say. Tears start rolling down my cheeks.
"Erin, I'm getting and Uber. I'll call you later just please leave me to think..." Hailey says more calmly.
"No, no, no, I'm out of detention. Please don't leave. I'll be right there." I say rushing out the door while I hear Maya calling to me. Oh more her and rush outside. But when I get to the parking lot, Hailey isn't there. Then I see a car in the distance and see her getting into it. I rush over and get there right before she closes the door.
"Hailey wait!" I say out of breath.
"Is everything alright ma'am ?" The driver says from the front.
"Erin! How did you get here? Jesus," she sighs, "Erin please leave me alone for awhile." Hailey says annoyed. I step forward trying to get cola in myself when I fall flat on my face.
"Shit!" I groan as I roll over.
"Erin you idiot!" Hailey says jumping out of the car with her stuff and kneeling down to look at my face.
"Please don't go." I beg. I must look like a mess to her.
"Ma'am are you coming or not?" The Uber driver asks. Hailey waves him away and he starts driving once he closes his door.
"Please don't leave. I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I say to her taking her hand. She pulls me up and I embrace her in a huge hug. "I really didn't mean to not tell you I promise I forgot-" I babble on but then Hailey puts an annoyed finger up to my mouth to shush me. I immediately shut up and she reaches in her bag, pulling out some wipes. She wipes some blood and mud off my face. Once she determines it's clean she sighs and throws away the wipes in a plastic bag. She places a hand on my cheek and I lean into it. She pulls me in for a hug and I hold on to her tight.
"Erin," she says.
"Yeah?" I reply.
"Please... please always run after me no matter what stupid reason I decide to walk away." She says with a sad laugh as she starts crying into my shoulder.
"Well it's kinda hard not to chase after your ass." I say teasing her.
"Erin!" She yells at me as I laugh. She pulls back and sucker punches me in the shoulder. She laughs and wipes away some of her tears. She looks up at me then closes some distance. Surprised I fall back into a tree and she keeps pushing me into it. It's feels so exhilarating to kiss her. That is until I hear a snap of a camera.

Me and Hailey turn breathless to see James, Alices soulmate, taking a picture.
"The group chats going to love this!" He says. I go to chase after him but he runs for it. Hailey grabs my arm and pulls me back. I turn to her confused.
"I... I don't care." She says between breaths. She pulls me toward her and closes the distance again. I push her against the tree. For those few minutes of us just making out. I forgot about everything else.