6) Tidying Up

It's official, you think as you sweep even more soot out of the giant fireplace. This is much worse than cleaning the ones at home. Your hand still hurts a little, but not as much as that entire experience did. It was a huge wake up call for you- that princes and princesses aren't who you think they are.

The only light that comes into the dining room, whichever one it is, what's the difference?, is from the moonlight, streaming in through the window. There was nothing to light the chandelier candles with, so you are stuck cleaning in darkness. Occasional footsteps are heard in the hallway, and the soot blows up in your face, making you gag and cough, from time to time. It really sucks.

Another pair of footsteps are heard passing by, and you continue to dust away the soot, but then you hear the footsteps suddenly stop right outside the door. It creaks open at a sickeningly slow place, and you jump up, pointing your feather duster at the door in self defense. This is pitiful.

An unexpected visitor enters: one of the princes. Though in the same outfit from earlier today, you can't seem to remember which one it is. Mouth falling open slightly, you lower your weapon and look at him in disbelief. What- what are you doing here?, you manage to croak out, and he shrugs, looking up at the chandelier.

"I don't know myself, exactly, I just wanted to make sure you are okay, when you left, you seemed pretty upset," he says, taking a look at the fireplace, barely cleaned. "How long have you been here?," he asks, observing the little work that's been done.

Based off of his voice pitch, you determine that this Prince is Kaoru.

You think about the hours you spent crying under the table over how your recall to life has been wasted. When you don't answer, glancing at the fireplace nervously, he says, in an almost sorry tone, "Dutchess, it's almost midnight."

Midnight? Midnight!? You've got to be kidding me, have I really been crying for that long? When you were younger and used to cry, your Father would wrap you up into his arms and whisper in your ear that it's all going to be ok. After he left, you had no one to reassure you, to comfort you, and you've been left to silently sob in your room, aka the attic, alone, wallowing in your despair.

Nervously meeting his gaze, you get down on the floor and mumble an apology, resuming your task. "Again, I don't know why I came down here," says Kaoru thinking out loud, slipping his hands into his pockets, "but I don't think it was to encourage you to get back to work." Ignoring him, you continue your task, but to your surprise he kneels down besides you.

Stopping, you look at him and say, "your expensive clothes are going to get dirty if you stay," and with that he gives a little smile. "You're face is a mess," is all he says, and you shake your head in disbelief. "You don't tell someone that, it's rude!," you blurt out, speaking to him. Gasping, he clutches his heart and looks down, then back up at you with pure hatred. "You just talked back to the prince!," he says astonished, and you drop the feather duster into the pile of soot.

Realizing what you've done, you realize what this means: going back to your mothers house, possible banishment for the kingdom, tarnishing the good name your father left behind. "I'm so so sorry-," you begin, but you cut yourself off when you see that signature smirk go onto his face. "You're a liar!," you say, eyebrows shooting up, giving another head shake with a smile.

Don't forget how mad at them you are!, a voice screams in your head. They disrespected you and were completely obnoxious.

"Don't worry, it's nice to have someone who doesn't speak to me in perfect political correctness language," he says, grabbing the feather duster from the soot. "Imagine- one of the princes being offended," he says sarcastically, touching the feathers.