7) How Did You Know?

"So lots of servants quit before the end of their first month here because of their 'twincest' antics," says Haruhi, placing fancy silverware on the long, rectangular table located in the banquet hall dining room. On the other side, that maid that was in the carriage with you that first day, the one who told you not to tell anyone of her real appearance, was also setting sharp knives and forks and polished spoons delicately on the table.

You're all setting up for the first ball of the trilogy masquerade, which is happening tomorrow so there's a lot to do.

Still, even a month after your arrival, she still wears the dirty blonde wig atop her head and her skin is a pale, milky color, which is not her natural tone. This is the first time you've seen her since that first day.

You, placing delicate plates down before Haruhi places the silver wear, watch the other maid, seeing that she hasn't said a word to either of you since arriving. Weird, I still don't even know her name... maybe she's upset about working for the princes again?

The first time you were asked to do chores for your stepmother, you were eager to have a distraction from the grief of your Father never returning. But soon, as the days grew to weeks and the weeks grew to months, you found that more and more chores were put upon you until you had basically become a maid to your own family.

"Actually, I'm surprised the both of you have stayed an entire month already," he says, placing the last of the silver wear down. Most quit after a few days, but I'm glad you're both still here." Suddenly, you ask yourself why is Haruhi here in the first place?

Asking him this, you see his face crumple into nervousness as he laughs it off, and responds, "I just... Uh... wanted to work here!" He says cheerfully, setting down the rest of the silver wear. As you pick up neatly stacked teacups from the cart of tableware, you hear the other maid speak, saying, "no, Haruhi, you aren't here because of that."

Starting to make your way down the table again, placing cup after cup, you see Haruhi look terribly confused. "How did you know that,!" he exclaims, "I've never even talked to you before.

Seeing a devious smile set on her face, similar to the twins', but even more unsettling, you watch as she stops for a moment and looks at the both of you. "You, Haruhi Fujioka, knocked over an expensive, irreplaceable, priceless vase, and now owe the royal family $80,000 yen to pay back your debt."

Watching his face register in shock, you also stop putting teacups down, and hear her give out your reason. "And," the maid says, sounding triumphant, "Y/n L/n was sent here by her step-mother because she was a terrible family maid and she hates her and wants the money she makes here."

Feeling your face grow warm, you say, "where do you know that from?!" Throwing up her arms, the maid says "lucky guess" and then resumes placing the silverware on the table. "Is that true?," you ask Haruhi, and watch as he, too, starts putting down the napkins, but gives a small nod in your direction. "That isn't right," he says sternly, looking at you with his large brown eyes.

"Your pay shouldn't go to your stepmother because you've earned it, but I guess it's an honorable thing to do," he says, and all you want to do is tell him that your money going to your stepmother and stepsisters isn't your choice.

"So what's your deal?" you ask the maid, sounding a little more harshly than you mean to. Sharply looking up, the maid says, quickly, "Have you forgotten already? I've worked for those two brats -"

"Don't talk about them like that," says Haruhi, surprising you with him defending them. Giving him a dirty look, the maid continues, sounding like a complete fake.

"I've worked for the two, dearest, darling, angelic princes when they were younger and now I'm back," she says mockingly, "and I'm Drizzel, by the way," giving an obnoxious curtsy in your direction.