15) Too Much

Kaoru (As You Run Away Again):
No. Not again. Don't leave me here, please. About to run, people are already pounding him with questions and remarks. "She kissed him!" "That's Prince Hikaru, right?" "No, I think it was Kaoru!" "Get her out!" "Where's her formality?" Standing there shocked, he clenches his fist, still feeling the faint heat in his cheeks. This girl. I don't even know her name and... Hikaru rushes over and someone announces that there will be a ten minute intermission. Still, the people don't disperse, their remarks more present than ever. "Kaoru! Are you okay, I saw it-" stopping immediately, he watches as his brother looks into his eyes, with pure happiness, a wide smile spreads on his face that says it all.
————————————————————
The Next Night:
A gentle knock is heard at the door. "Prince Kaoru..." begins a familiar voice, and the man with the notebook steps into the princes' room. Hikaru is sprawled out on his bed, already asleep while Kaoru stares out the window, arms crossed, thinking about the events of the night before. "How are you?," Kyoya begins, surveying the room that's an absolute mess. "Just get on with it, I know you're here to lecture me again about how it has to be a-" "yes, a princess. That's how it should be, but it didn't turn out the way, did it?"

Confused, Kaoru turns to see Kyoya give him a slight smile. "I never realized how... serious you were about her. By the way, I know Ella's the maid that you like," he says, shrugging a little. "So why did you still terminate her?" "You both needed a little more desperation, an extra push in the right direction," he says smoothly, and the love struck prince finally realizes it. Despite how evil it may have seemed at the time, it's all coming together now. "You were helping the entire time." Nodding, Kyoya says, "you may not be able to see her ever again, or find her, but at least you got that one moment together, that's all that matters, right?" Kyoya checks his watch, and tells Kaoru that he has to leave. "Oh, and remember the last night of the ball is tomorrow. Keep your mind open, maybe you'll find someone else who interests you." After he departs, Kaoru is filled with a new sense of hope. I will see her again, I just know it. And I'll never settle for anyone other than her.

—————————————————————————
Around Dinnertime at Your Stepmother's Home (a day after "the next night")

"Oh mother, he was wonderful," June gushes, eying you as you clean the fireplace in the living room. "They're both so romantic, it doesn't matter who I get, I just want one of them!" Cackling, April stretches out on the couch and says, "one for me and one for you!"

It's been like this for the past day you were here, which included chore after chore after chore. And, not to mention, the deep fits of sadness you fell into last night and throughout today, thinking about what you did. How did he know... why did I do that? Your stepmother has taken every opportunity to make your life a misery. "When they come knocking at my door looking for us, I bet they'll sweep me away to the palace," says June, squeezing herself into the little room left on the couch.

"Hey! That's my spot!," says April, kicking her sister. "Ow!" "Stop!" "You're mean!" "I hate you!" "It doesn't matter," says June, huffing, sitting on top of April. "When we go to the palace as their fiancées we'll have plenty of room."

"You know you can't have either since you're not princesses," you say somberly, sounding sadder than you intended. Continuing to sweep the fireplace, thinking about the last time you did this with him, you have no idea what you just caused by saying those words. "Awwww did someone think they could have the prince?," taunts April. "You're not a Princess," mimicks June, getting up and strolling over to where you are. "I bet they threw you out since they hated seeing your disgusting face everyday," she adds, and with that you lose your temper. "Just stop, okay!," you say, slamming the feather duster on the floor.