Chapter Six

"Erin, I get it and I know she can do what she wants but I'm worried about her!" Kelly snapped, slamming his hand down on her desk in frustration. "I haven't heard from her in a week!"

Erin sighed in frustration. They'd been having this argument for half an hour since he'd turned up unannounced and demanded to speak to her. "I keep telling you Kelly, I haven't heard anything either. She's not gone back to work and she's not gone back to him but that's all I can tell you."

"Can't you do some digging?" He pleaded. "If I know she's okay then I'll leave her alone, I promise."

"I take it you do realise I have an actual job to do Kelly?" Erin snapped at him. "I don't want anything terrible to happen to her either but she's made it pretty clear she doesn't want your help or mine."

"Please?" He said quietly.

She sighed. "If I get time I'll do a little bit of digging but you might just have to accept that you're not going to get some kind of happy ending where you get to swoop in and save her Kelly."

"I just need to know she's okay." He said softly. "If something has happened and I didn't try and help her I won't be able to live with myself."

"I know." Erin nodded. "Just go to work, do your job and try not to worry about her too much. I'll get in touch if I've got something to tell you, okay?"

He nodded. "Thanks, Erin, I owe you."

"I know you do." She called after him as he disappeared back down the stairs.

He'd made it to the firehouse just in time to start the shift. He was torn between hoping it would be a quiet one so he could answer the phone if Erin called and hoping for a crazy day that might take his mind off Amber and wondering where she might be.

He sat himself down at the Squad table and the rest of the guys quickly muttered excuses and left. He couldn't blame them, he'd been in a foul mood all week and wasn't exactly good company. He grabbed his phone and dialled Amber's number again. He'd lost track of how many times he'd done this over the course of the week.

"Stop calling me Kelly." Her voice was flat and cold on the other end of the phone.

He almost dropped his phone at the sound of her voice on the other end. He'd been fully intending to leave her another message but it hadn't even crossed his mind that she might answer. "I've been worried about you. You didn't return my messages."

"Oh, I heard them." She answered him sarcastically. "The thing is Kelly I don't need you to save me or whatever it is you're trying to do. Just leave me alone."

"Amber-"

"Goodbye Kelly."

He stared at his phone for a moment after she hung up on him. She didn't need him to save her... what did that even mean?

"What's up with you?" Shay asked, sliding into the vacant seat next to him.

"Huh?" He looked up from his phone.

"Well, you managed to scare away the entire Squad." Shay pointed out. "You've been in an awful mood all week. I saw the way you yelled at poor Mills the other day. He hadn't even done anything wrong!"

"I know." He sighed. "I did apologise to him for that."

"So what's going on then?" She pressed, looking at him expectantly.

"I've just been so worried about Amber. I hadn't heard from her all week and I was sure something awful had happened." He admitted, he sounded pathetic even to his own ears. "Then she just called me up out of the blue and said she's fine and I need to leave her alone... like what am I even supposed to do with that?"