Chapter Fourteen

"I hope your Mom is going to be a bit more friendly this time," Kelly muttered loading their suitcases into the back of the rental car.

Amber pulled a face. "She doesn't really do friendly, but she obviously likes you because you got invited... Don't know if that makes you feel any better?" She laughed.

"Not really. Should I be worried?" He shut the boot and climbed into the driver's side of the car.

She got into the passenger seat beside him. "You're about to meet pretty much my entire family all in one go. I'd be worried if I were you."

His eyes widened a fraction. "You tell me this after we get here."

"Too late to back out now." She laughed. "Come on, you'd better get driving. Mum's expecting us in time for dinner."

He started the engine, pulling out of the parking lot before glancing over at her. "I'm not very good at this whole meet the family thing." He warned her. "It's been a long time since I've met anyone's family."

She laughed, rolling her eyes at him. "Yeah, I'm sure meeting the parents wasn't high on your list of things to do when you were going through you man whore stage."

"Ouch." He winced. "Don't hold back."

"I'm kidding." She squeezed his thigh gently as he merged on to the highway. "I know this isn't really your thing, I owe you one for coming with me."

His hand came to rest over hers, which was still on his thigh, and he gave her hand a squeeze. "I meant what I said, I wouldn't miss it for the world." He didn't say it aloud, but he hoped that she knew that things were different with her. He'd changed, he wasn't the same guy he'd been back then when he'd had that endless stream of meaningless things. Now he actually wanted more.

****

She suspected that he might want to retract the statement that he wouldn't miss it for the world when they actually arrived at her parents place. Her Mom had met them at the front door, bundling them both up into a hug.

"It's so good to have you home." Rachel grinned. "Come on, come in." She ushered them both inside.

"Hi Dad." Amber smiled, wrapping her arms around the older man who was waiting for them just inside the door. "Dad, this is Kelly." She pulled out of the hug and reached behind her to grab Kelly's hand.

"Nice to meet you." Her Dad smiled, stepping forward and holding his hand out to Kelly. "I'm Thomas."

Kelly shook his hand, mumbling a somewhat awkward greeting. What was he supposed to say?

"Why don't you two go and get unpacked?" Rachel suggested quickly, picking up on Kelly's discomfort which was clear to see on his face. "Your sister will be here soon for Dinner."

"Come on Kelly." Amber nodded, taking him by the hand. They each picked up their bags and headed up the stairs.

Once they were safely in her old bedroom with the door closed behind them she flopped down on the bed and pulled him down beside her. "I'm sorry about them," she whispered. "Mom can be a bit overwhelming, I know."

He shook his head. "They're lovely, it's not that."

She lifted her head a fraction to look at him. "Well, what is going on in that head of yours?"

He was quiet for a moment, opening his mouth to speak and then closing it again as he tried to find the right words. "I don't know. I was just thinking I guess. You've got this whole other life here that I know nothing about. You've got a family who love you and instead you're stuck at the other end of the country."