Nothing Would Surprise Me

"Hollie, I'm tired." Amelia said, tugging at Hollies arm as Voight explained his plan to her.

"Lets go put you back in your room then." Hollie said, picking the girl up.

"I'll tell Maggie that we're ready when they are." Voight said, heading towards the nurse.

"I'll grab Will." Erin said, leaving Hollie and Amelia in the room Amelia was originally put in.

"When you wake up you will be with one of Jay's friends okay?" Hollie said, running her hand through her sisters hair.

"Okay." Amelia said, seconds before she was overcome by sleep.

----------

"The latest victim of the 25 storey apartment fire this morning had been confirmed as the eight year old sister of CFD Firefighter Hollie Halstead." The radio reported as Erin drove Hollie to the district. Voight and Goodwin were able to keep Amelias name out of the press so that it didn't affect her in the future. Today had already affected her too much.

"She's okay right?" Hollie asked, needing confirmation that this wasn't true despite knowing that it wasn't.

"She's with Ruzek." Erin said. "We're gonna meet them in the back entrance of the district."

"Halstead." Hollie said, quickly picking her phone up when it started ringing.

"I've just heard from OFI, they've confirmed it was arson. They found evidence of a basic timing device on the 20th floor." Boden said.

"Any fingerprints? Any way of knowing it was him or not?" Hollie asked, sharing a glance with Erin.

"Not yet, the device was pretty badly burnt. They were lucky to even find anything." Boden said.

"Thank you anyway Cheif." Hollie said before hanging up and relaying the information to Erin.

"That confirms your original suspicion." Erin said. "He probably knew there was a fault with the electrics from when he lived on that floor."

Mouse: I just heard about Amelia, where are you? xx

Hollie: On my way to the district with Erin, I need to see you xx

Mouse: Theres a kids park down the road from the district, Erin will know where I mean. I can be there in five minutes xx

Hollie: I'll be there xx

"Change of plan." Hollie said.

"Where we going?" Erin said, not fazed by the sudden change.

"A park, down the road from the district?" Hollie said.

"That Mouse?" Erin asked as she pulled up at the small kids park.

"Yeah, he doesn't know about Amelia." Hollie said, slipping out the car. As soon as the door was shut she was crying again and walked into the park, glancing around for her fiance. She wandered around the park for a few minutes before seeing Mouse.

"Hey." He said, gently grasping her wrist and pulling her towards a small wooded area.

"Hey." Hollie said, wiping the tears from under her eyes.

"I'm so sorry." Mouse said, placing a kiss to her lips then leaning his forehead against hers.

"It's not true." Hollie whispered just in case someone was listening to their conversation.

"What do you mean?" Mouse asked.

"Mia's at the district with Adam right now." Hollie said, trying to gauge his emotions. "We think he's gonna try and kill himself if he thinks she's dead."

"He's probably here then." Mouse said, glancing around.

"What do you mean?" Hollie asked nervously.

"He knows killing Mia will hurt you, he's not got a problem with Will so he will want to hurt Jay." Mouse said. "Jay was always the closest to their dad so Pat will probably want Jay to be the one that pulls the trigger."

"You keep him safe." Hollie said, pressing a kiss to his lips.

"I promise I will. You go be with Mia, she'll need you right now." Mouse said, kissing her forehead before disappearing back into the world.

"Everything alright?" Erin asked as Hollie got back in the car and they drove the short distance back to the station.

"Yeah." Hollie said before explaining Mouse's theory to her.

"Nothing would surprise me anymore." Erin said as they pulled into the district car park.

"Hey kid." Hollie said, running up to Ruzek who was stood with Mia in his arms.

"I'm tired." Mia complained, making the three adults smile at how oblivious she was to the situation.

"Lets go and find somewhere for you to take a nap then." Hollie said, taking the child from Adam and walking up the stairs to the break room.

----------

It wasn't even three hours later that Mouse's theory became reality.

Jay received a call from Pat, apologising for everything he had done and asking if they could meet up at a coffee place.

Despite the seemingly genuine apology, both ex-rangers were still on high alert and not willing to trust Pat.

Upon arriving at the chosen coffee shop, Jay sat with his dad who was sat facing away from the door, giving Mouse an easy opportunity to clear out the rest of the customers with Jay's badge in his hand.

Jay struck up a conversation with his father and it seemed like nothing was going to happen and Pat would willingly come with them. 

After listening to his dad for almost ten minutes, Jay moved to stand up and arrest him, a task he couldn't believe he was having to do.

"No! I'm not going to prison, I don't want my boys to see me like that." Pat stated, standing up and pulling a gun from his waistband before aiming it at Mouse.

"Dad, you don't want to do this." Jay said, pulling his own gun.

Jay pulled the trigger on instinct after he heard another gun shot.

"Mouse, are you good?" He shouted as he rushed to his dad's side, kicking the gun away from his hand.

"Yeah, it barely touched me." Mouse said, holding his hand to his upper arm. He watched as his best friend stood up away from the body.

"He's gone." Jay said, not wanting to believe it. Mouse pulled his phone out of his pocket and called Voight.

----------

"That was Mouse." Voight declared as he walked out of his office.

"Are they okay?" Hollie asked, Voight nodded.

"Pat?" Lindsay asked, part of her already knowing the answer, Voight shook his head.

"Pat shot at Mouse so Jay took the kill shot." Voight explained. "Erin." He said, nodding to the door, inferring they were going to go to the scene alone.

"I'll send Mouse here as soon as we can." Erin promised Hollie as she noticed the concern on her friend's face.

"Okay." Hollie said, pulling her phone out to call Boden and tell him what had happened but deciding against it as she wasn't aware of all the details, so instead she called Cruz for an update on Stella, knowing it would be useless calling Severide.