Chapter Five.

Gintoki sits on the couch at Odd Jobs Gin, his legs crossed and hands holding the latest issue of JUMP. A strawberry-flavoured lollipop sits in his mouth as he sucks on it lazily, eyes half-lidded in boredom. 

"Gin?" A familiar voice calls out. 

"I bought the cake you wanted," (Name) calls, walking into the room and humming curiously.

"Ah, is that JUMP?"

She places the bag in her hand down on the table and strolls to the couch, taking a seat next to the samurai. 

"I heard there's a big plot twist for one of the manga in this copy."

She leans over his shoulder curiously; Gintoki's heart starts to race. He's suddenly very aware of her presence before him, noticing her intoxicating perfume and the closeness of her body to his. He feels his cheeks begin to heat up and thrusts the JUMP into hands. 

"You read it. I, uh, wanna eat that cake." He stands up quickly, confusing the woman on the couch, and walks over to the bag she brought in. 

Deliberately standing with his back to her, Gintoki curses to himself, his thoughts racing. 

"What the fuck is wrong with me?" He whispers so quietly he barely hears himself. He glances over at (Name) again, watching her flip a page of the magazine curiously, and turns back to face the wall with a heartbeat faster than usual. 

He curses himself again as he reaches for a fork and grabs the whole tray the cake sits on, taking it back over to the couch and sitting on the floor before shoving a huge mouthful of the cake into his mouth. (Name)'s mouth falls agape and she looks up from the JUMP. 

"Gin! Have you read this?! This dude really just-" 

"No, I haven't, so don't spoil it!" He calls through a mouthful of cake, holding a hand out to stop her from saying anything else about it. 

(Name) huffs, leaning back into the couch. "I don't even read JUMP but if there's more like this I might just have to. Look what you're doing to me."

She pouts at him; Gintoki's heart skips another beat. 

'Ah shit,' he thinks as he feels a small warmth in his chest at the words, quickly averting his eyes and distracting himself with another bite of cake.