Chapter Eleven

Gintoki and (Name) sit on the floor of Odd Jobs Gin, a pack of playing cards split between them. Gintoki places his cards down with a smirk and (Name) grins, throwing hers down triumphantly.

"I win," she sticks her tongue out playfully. Gintoki clucks his tongue.

"That was just pure luck. I'll win the next one."

"Is it really luck if it's the fourth time in a row?"

"Shut up."

Gintoki watches her reach for the cards to gather them up, shuffling them in the deck. As she reaches to deal the cards, the silver-haired Samurai finds himself reaching out an arm to stop her. Upon seeing her confused look, his heart begins to beat wildly.

He thinks back to Shinpachi's words; "just tell her." His breath catches in his throat, his arm still preventing (Name) from moving.

"I... I need to tell you something." He begins, feeling his hands become clammy with sweat as he realises how under-prepared he is for this.

"Okay. Go ahead," (Name) smiles gently, placing the cards down. Gintoki pulls his hand away from her arm, taking a breath to try and relax only to feel even more pressure.

"I, uh." He swallows. "I..."

A groan leaves Gintoki's lips, his hands scratching his head in frustration. "Ah! Why is it so damn hard to word this?!" He curses, smacking his cheeks with his palms.

"You know what? Fuck it. I don't know how else to say this. I like you, alright? A lot."

He turns his head to the side and crosses his arms, sticking his bottom lip out in a pout as his cheeks coat themselves crimson.

(Name) sits still in shock, her mouth gaping open. "Y-You... What?" She stutters.

"What, do I have to say it again? I like you!" Gintoki's words come out rushed, his embarrassment only increasing.

His eyes still avoiding hers, suddenly finding the artwork on the wall very interesting, Gintoki mentally curses himself for confessing so suddenly.

"Gintoki," (Name) speaks softly.

He speaks again. "I know, it's stupid."

"Gintoki."

"Just don't rub it in, alright?"

"Gintoki."

"Look, I don't expect y-"

He's cut off by two hands cupping his cheeks and a soft feeling on his lips, his eyes widening in shock and arms uncrossing. After a split second, he registers the situation and kisses her back, his eyes closing and his hands moving to cup her cheeks.

Though short, the moment sends his heart beating a million beats a second, his face red as (Name) pulls away from him, her own cheeks dusted a light red. She smiles, her hand moving to scratch the back of her neck awkwardly.

"I like you a lot, too."

Gintoki's mouth hangs open just a tad in disbelief. "I'm, I'm not dreaming, right?"

(Name) laughs. "I hope not, or I wouldn't be doing this." She leans forward and places a soft peck on his lips. Gintoki smiles as she pulls away.

"Yeah, I'm not dreaming. My brain's too dumb to think up something like this," he mutters as he reaches to pull her in for a hug.