Chapter Twenty-Four.

"We're going out," Gintoki calls from the front door. 

"Huh? What about dinner?!" Shinpachi yells back, his hands gesturing to the food he just cooked as if the samurai could see it. 

"Not hungry!" Gintoki responds and Shinpachi hears the door sliding shut. Kagura giggles opposite him, picking up her chopsticks. 

"More for us. Thank you for the meal," she quickly says her thanks before loading her bowl. Shinpachi sighs. 

"Why do they always do that? They've done it practically every day for three years and I don't even know where they go." He huffs, picking up his own chopsticks. 

"Hey, Kagura! Stop taking all the meat!"

Outside, Gintoki and (Name) walk hand in hand down the streets of Edo, illuminated by the sun beginning to set. 

(Name) swings their arms back and forth as they walk, laughing at Gintoki's ridiculous attempts at flirtation and terrible jokes. Their bodies guide them automatically, not needing to think, as they walk the same direction they walk most evenings. 

They walk for twenty-five minutes before finally arriving at the space they've grown to love, a secluded bridge over a river providing a perfect view of the setting sun. Their hands fall separate as Gintoki leans his back against the bridge's beams, (Name) crossing her arms on to rest on the side as she looks down, smiling at the fish dancing under the clear water. 

Gintoki watches her with a smile before turning to face the same direction as her, his eyes following the water's small waves lapping against the land on either side. 

"How did we find this spot, again?" He asks, a teasing grin on his lips. 

(Name) rolls her eyes with a small smile. "You asked me that the last three times we were here, too."

She stays quiet, eyes flashing with the memory. "I brought you here when you were drunk and threatened to throw you into the water if you didn't sober up," she mumbles, trying to hide her smile as Gintoki bursts into laughter, the sound ringing in her ears. 

"So really, it's all thanks to me that we discovered this." He winks playfully. 

"In a way. I'd still throw you over, though," (Name) winks back.

Gintoki grins and turns so his back is leaning on the beams again. "No you wouldn't, you love me too much." 

She raises a brow, lacing her fingers together as she looks at him questioningly. 

"Wanna test that?"

Gintoki raises his hands defensively, a sly grin on his lips. (Name) shakes her head with a laugh, looking away from him and back to the water. Gintoki smiles, his back to the sight she's so focused on, his own memories of their first time at the bridge running through his mind. 

"Ah, the sun's setting properly now." (Name)'s words catch his attention. He glances at her, adjusting himself to copy her position and face the sun. 

The sun begins to set the last of itself, its golden-orange rays dancing on their skin and lighting up (Name)'s eyes. Her gaze focuses straight ahead, watching the same sight she's adjusted to seeing over the past three years, a smile on her lips so small it's almost invisible – but Gintoki sees it, the only thing he can see as he gazes at her with gentle eyes, his heart ready to burst. 

His eyes only tear themselves from her to look at the setting sun as he speaks gently, "I can't believe three years ago we broke up."

Her eyes flicker to him and then back to the sunset in silence. 

"That was definitely the biggest mistake of my life," he continues. "But winning you back was the best thing I've ever done."

He smiles feeling her hand gently rest over his own, her thumbs rubbing his knuckles. He sits in the silence for another moment before adding to his words. 

"I can't tell you how much I love you." He closes his eyes as his smile widens. 

"Every second I spend with you makes me realise how lucky I am to have you. Every time you smile my chest gets warm, every time you say my name I hear an angel speak, every time you kiss me I feel a Goddess' lips against my own and every time, every time I see you I just think, holy shit. I'm so in love with you."

 He opens his eyes to glance at her, pure and genuine love radiating from his gaze. He swallows a lump in his throat as his free hand sits in his sleeve, clutching a small box and feeling his nerves jump under his skin, his anxiety screaming at him. 

"So, I... I want to ask you..."

He takes a deep breath, his eyes never leaving hers as he pulls away from her hand and slides to one knee, watching her hands cover her mouth in shock and her eyes water as he pulls out the box and opens it, revealing the silver ring inside. 

He forces his voice to obey him, keeping any breaks away as he asks the question he's been rehearsing in his mind for weeks but thinking of for years. 

"Will you marry me?"

He watches her slide to her knees, hands still over her mouth; anxiety wells in his stomach, filling him with dread as he expects the worst, his hands beginning to lower. 

His breath hitches as he hears her whisper, "Yes," and her lips meet his own with such force he's almost knocked off his knees, his free hand cupping her cheek. 

"God yes, Gintoki. I'll marry you," she whispers as they split. 

He has to fight back tears as he chokes out a laugh of disbelief, gently placing the ring on her finger and connecting their lips again, illuminated by the last golden rays of the smiling sun.