Trouble at the Gala

Jon stood with his arms spread out as Alfred measure his back. It was a Saturday morning.

Alfred wrote down a measurement. "I am rushing your measurements to a Wayne family custom tailor. You should have it by this evening."

"I really don't see why I need a suit, Mr. Pennyworth. Can't I just borrow Tim's old one or something?"

"It's standard." Damian said. "You always wear suits to fancy events, farm boy. Furthermore, a tailored suit will always look better."

Jon frowned. Alfred dismissed him and looked over his sheet of paper with Jon's measurements. 

"What do I even do? Are there going to be any other kids there?"

"Probably not." Damian replied. He was leaning back in a chair and twirling a pencil. Jon took a seat across the briefing table and opened a folder labeled Super Sons

"Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot. Also known as the Penguin." Jon read. "Criminal of high-class Gotham. Thief and smuggler of priceless goods and museum artifacts." He looked up. "We're stopping this guy tonight?"

"Correction." Damian said, sitting up. "Nightwing is taking him out, suited up as Batman. We're stopping the trucks."

"Wait." Jon said, confused. "Why doesn't he just go as Nightwing?"

Damian groaned in annoyance. "Because if Bruce Wayne and Batman are at the same place and time, he couldn't possibly be Batman, right? It's a cover."

"Oh." Jon said, closing the folder and sliding it over to Damian.

Damian sighed and took the folder. He pulled out a floor plan of the museum the gala was being held in and talked Jon through the vents, the racks in the basement of the museum and the parking lot that connected to the back of the museum.

"Here." Damian said. "This is where we camp. Grayson takes out the guards. We stop the trucks."

"Got it." Jon said. "But what if-"

"Just follow my lead." Damian said.

Jon shrugged. "Works for me." He looked at Damian. "What do we do in the meantime?"

"Stretch." Damian said, getting up and heading to the spar mat. "Martial arts is staining on the body."

Jon sighed. "D, I fight crime in jeans." He sat down across from Damian who was stretching forwards. "I can melt things with my eyes. I would way rather play video games."

Damian stood up and walked to the elevator. Jon looked at him from across the Cave. Damian pressed the button to the elevator and it opened. 

"You coming?" Damian asked.

"Uh- yeah." Jon said, closing the book he was reading for a book report. "What are we doing?" He stepped into the elevator.

Damian shrugged. "Playing video games."

"Yes!" Jon cheered. The door closed and they began the ascent to the Manor.

Jason helped Damian and Jon set up their console to the TV in the living room. They wasted hours playing, sucked into the games.

Alfred stepped in and Damian paused the game.

"Master Jon, your suit has arrived."

Jon stood up. "Thank you, Mr. Pennyworth."

He looked at Damian. "It's about time you should get ready. Your suit is in the Cave."

"Thank you, Pennyworth."

Jon raced Damian to the library where the elevator was hidden behind a clock. They descended into the Cave and opened their lockers in the locker room, where each suit was hung up in a zipped black bag.

"Put your uniform on under." Damian advised. "Or at least any part that won't interfere with your suit."

Jon unfolded his jeans. "So what are we even going to do?" Jon asked. "I've never exactly been invited to a gala." He slipped his jeans on and unzipped the bag and looked at his suit. "I like my tie."

Damian looked over. "Yeah, it's light blue as a subtle nod to your uniform."

Jon looked at Damian's. "Green." He noted. "Nice." He thought for a second. "Wait- why not red?"

"Todd is red."

"Yellow?"

"Drake is yellow and Grayson is blue. I got stuck with green but I don't care. It's probably on of my favorite colors, anyways."

"Cool." Jon noted. He stood in front of the locker and buttoned up his shirt. It fit perfectly but that didn't mean it was comfortable. Damian finished changing into his suit and then helped Jon tie his tie. He stepped back.

"We're going to have to ask Alfred to fix our ties." Damian frowned.

Almost on call, Alfred walked into the locker room. "You called?" He asked.

Damian sighed. "We can't figure out how to tie them." He said, gesturing to their ties.

Alfred stepped forward and expertly tied their ties. Damian pulled the knot up to his neck. Jon did the same.

"So how do we change into our uniforms?" Jon asked.

"Quickly." Damian answered.

Jon frowned. "That's not helpful."

"We have 2 minutes to change." Damian said. "Your jacket, my cape and both of our shoes." He summed up.

"Where are we going to get them from?" Jon asked.

"I will have them brought to you in a private room." Alfred said, as he folded Damian's clothes.

"Okay." Jon said.

"Nervous?" Damian asked.

"A little."

"Good." Damian replied. He adjusted the cuff links on the wrist of his suit. "Adrenaline keeps you awake."

Jon swallowed. "Okay. I'm ready."