2 - The Serpents

Will's POV

"Why did you slam the door? Who was it?" asked Sweet Pea and Toni in unison. My eyes started welling up with tears. 

"Wren." I only had to say one word for Toni to know exactly what it meant. She came over to me and hugged me. I wiped my eyes with my sleeve. 

"Who's Wren?" asked Sweet Pea. "My god awful sister." I replied. "Do want me to stay with you today?" asked Toni. "I'll be fine." I answered. I heard a beep on my phone, an unknown number. 'Open the door.'  it read. I showed it to Toni, and she stole my phone. 'Go away. I hate you, and I don't want to talk to you.' "Do you want me to get rid of her?" asked Toni. I nodded. I went inside my room so I didn't have to see Wren. I heard murmurs from Toni and Wren. 

Then I heard the slam of the door. Toni came into my room. "Will, I need to tell you something." said Toni. I looked up at her from the floor. "What?" I asked, nibbling at my fingernails. "Wren was here to warn you. The Ghoulies are out of prison, and are looking for your blood."

***

That was a few weeks ago, and the Ghoulies haven't made their move just yet. I was sat at the serpent table at lunch in Southside High. My suspension has been lifted, and whenever a Ghoulie enters a 2 metre radius of me, the Serpents are on it.

"Why do you even eat lunch with us? You're not a serpent. You're not one of us." said a teen serpent, that I don't know the name of. "Will is a serpent by blood, Luca. She can sit with us if she wants." Toni snapped back for me. "And we're supposed to give her protection, by Serpent law." "Even if she's not technically one of us." Luca murmured. "I want to be." I said standing up from my seat. "You serious?" asked Sweet Pea. "Yes. I don't just want to be given your protection. I want to earn it, so what do I have to do?" Sweet Pea and Fangs high-fived. And Toni smiled at me.

"Fangs owes me twenty bucks." Sweet Pea said and held his hand out to Fangs.

"Dammit!" Fangs shouted and placed a crumpled twenty-dollar bill in Sweet Pea's hand.

***

Later that night, Toni and I were in my trailer discussing my initiation. "So you have to recite the serpent laws." she said. "And they are?" I asked. 

"There are 6: 1. No serpent stands alone, 2. If a Serpent is killed or imprisoned, their family will be taken care of, 3.A Serpent never sheds it's skin, 4. No Serpent is left for dead, 5. A Serpent never betrays his own and 6. In unity, there is strength." I was writing this all down as Toni recited it. "Okay?" I said with a puzzled look on my face as I tried to memorise them into my head. "What else do I have to do?" I asked and turned over to a new page in my notebook. 

"Every new member has to look after Hot Dog." Toni responded. "Okay, easy enough." "You also have to retive a serpent switchblade from the rattlesnake cage." I coughed up my sandwich. "R-Rattlesnake." I coughed. "It's not that hard. I've done it. Plus they sucked the venom out years ago." Toni  said to me. 

"Last but not least, you have to..." "What." I said annoyed. "You have to do the serpent dance." she told me. "What the hell is the serpent dance." "A dance on a stripper pole, in your underwear." This time I choked on my sandwich, and dropped my pen.

"Seriously." I said. "I'm guessing Sweet Pea, and Fangs didn't have to do that." "No, they get beaten up by other members of the serpents. Supposedly, to show strength." Toni said. "Well, I need to get ready for my first part of my initiation tomorow." I said to Toni and she got ready to leave. "I'll be here with Hot Dog in the morning." she said and walked out the door.

***

The morning of my first stage of initiation, I woke to the sound of barking and a dog jumping onto me. "Morning Wilder," said Toni. I rubbed my eyes and stroked the dog's back. "Dog food's on the kitchen counter. I'll pick him up at the end of the week." she said. I nodded and she turned around. "Quick Test; what's the fourth law of the serpents?" asked Toni as she spun on her heel to face me. "No serpent is left for dead." I said. 

That night, after getting dressed and feeding Hot Dog, there was a knock at the door. I got nervous, it could be the Ghoulies, but it could be Toni. I reluctantly opened the door. It was Sweet Pea. "I thought you were a Ghoulie." I said. "Sorry." Sweet Pea said. "I'm here to pick you up for the last part of your initiation." I took a deep breath, and then I went over to Sweet Pea's bike. "You know I need to teach you how to ride." said Sweet Pea as he handed me his helmet. "Let's focus on becoming a serpent first." I said. I got on the back of his bike and wrapped my arms around his waist, and we set off for the Whyte Wyrm.

"Will. What is the first serpent law?" asked Tall Boy, serpent leader as FP Jones (the real king) is in prison. "No serpent stands alone." I stated loudly, as to be heard by the surrounding crowd. "What is the second law?" Tall Boy responded, loudly. "If a Serpent is killed or imprisoned, their family will be taken care of." "What is the third law?" "A serpent never sheds it's skin." "What is the fourth law?" "No serpent is left for dead." "What is the fifth law?" "A serpent never betrays it's own." "And what is the sixth and final law?" said Tall Boy and he crossed his arms. "In unity, there is strength." Everyone cheered and clapped. "Now to the next part." Tall Boy said and I rolled up my sleeves ready for the next stage. 

We all walked over to the rattlesnake cage. "Collect the knife." said Tall Boy. There was a knife in the middle of the cage, and I had to reach inside and get it. "Go." I reached my hands inside. The knife was under the rattlesnake. It lunged forward at me and I flinched. But, I pulled through because I wanted this for myself. I moved the snake out the way, and then I pulled out the knife. Toni came over to me and hugged me, and every serpent was cheering and clapping. I pocketed the knife, as every serpent has a switchblade. "Time for the dance." Toni said to me. "The boys will be staring and cheering, but ignore them, it's all worth it." "Then you'll give me the jacket." I replied. "Then I'll give you the jacket." Toni mirrored. Toni and I walked over to the stage. Everyone crowded around. I took a deep breath and stepped into the spotlight.

I'd never danced before, only what you do as a child at a disco party. I herd the music blaring in my ears and the male serpents cheering. I closed my eyes and let my hips sway to the music. I zoned out, and just kept moving on the pole, blocking out the wolf-whistling.

After my dance, everyone was cheering and Tall Boy and Toni came onto the stage. "Congatulations." said Tall Boy and he held ot his hand for me to shake it. I shook it, and Toni handed me a black serpent jacket and I put it on. The serpents all cheered as I got off the stage. I was offically a serpent.