Chapter One: To be a Parent

"A Christmas party?" Nightmare said, holding up a tastefully decorated invite.

"Mama?" A small voice chirped.

Nightmare smiled gently down at the small figure cuddling against his legs, it was his own face but much younger.

The only difference were the startling large golden eyelights.

"How would you like to go to a party, kiddo? Sci is holding it," Nightmare said, gently picking the toddler up. The tiny skeleton hummed happily.

"Mama going in funny form?" Nim asked, wide eyed. The tiny being found his mother's goopy powerful form 'funny.'

"Of course, Nim," Nightmare added with a smirk, his baby boy giggled.

To think, his being a parent started several years ago, from Error's death to rebirth.

Yet, Nightmare wouldn't give it up for the world.

"Dammit, Error! Don't you dare die!" Nightmare snarled at the powerful destroyer, having coming across Error as he collapsed in the Anti-Void following a vicious battle with Ink.

He didn't know what Ink had done, but Error wasn't healing.

Error always healed once he returned to the Anti-Void!

Error's eyelights were barely lit, his body 'breathing' hard as his soul tried to keep his magic focused on healing his body.

A body that was dusting in front of his very eyes.

"Dying is easy, or so I hear, it hurts though," Error gasped, his voice a garbled, staticky mess that was barely a whisper.

"You're not allowed to die, what about the balance?" he demanded, heck, the balance was barely holding on due to Dream and Ink.

"When the Reaper calls, even Gods die. Another Destroyer will come," Error said sadly.

"The Reaper can take a number, you're the only one I can call a best friend!" Nightmare yelled, feeling as if his soul was breaking in sorrow.

"Pfft... number," Error said with a laugh, then he dusted.

Nightmare screamed.

"Mama?"

"Sorry Nim, mama was woolgathering," Nightmare said softly.

"Woolly woolly," Nim cried happily.

"Let's go find a perfect outfit for you for the party, okay?" Nightmare said, putting Nim down.

"Kay!" Nim chirped, zooming off to his room.

Nightmare took a fortifying breath, pushing back memories.

Error was dead.

But death could be temporary.

After all, Error had been the destroyer, the original.

His soul was different than the other Outcodes, his code was special.

"Mama," Nim called happily from his room.

"Coming," Nightmare called back. Nim was special in more ways than just being his kid.

After all, it was only right that Error got a chance for a true childhood and happiness of his own.