Chapter Two: Regrets

If Dream could go back in time, he'd punch himself.

A few times, for that matter.

Hindsight was 20/20, and he had been a fool.

Truth, justice, his brother, his obsession with Ink.

So many things had gone wrong, it seemed like anything that could go wrong did.

And most of it was his own fault.

It had taken a lot of bumps in his life for him to realize this, and not try to put the blame on someone else.

Some bumps more then literal.

He hadn't wanted to be a mother, and he wasn't a good mother.

Palette had been born of a drunken one-night stand, leaving him with a baby bones.

A child deserved better parents.

He had a long, unthankful job, and he wouldn't trust Ink to watch Palette.

In the end, Geno and Reaper took charge, realizing that Dream was over his head.

Palette was better with the Reaper family, as they could give a hundred percent to his care.

He even had a full time playmate in little Goth.

Palette was turning ten this year and only knew him as Uncle Dream.

It hurt, but it was better this way.

He couldn't even keep a promise to his brother, a child... yeah, better to not take that chance.

With a soft sigh, he picked up the invite from his desk.

The annual Christmas Party, where no one was allowed to fight. It was one of the few times a year he saw Palette.

And there was also a chance that Nightmare would appear.

OoOoO

Nightmare placed the last of the supplies in his item space, it was strange that so much of what was held there was for such a tiny being.

But then, he didn't know how long they'd be at the party.

Nim was excited. He only knew his uncles that worked for his Mama, but he would soon meet others!

"Up," he said happily, and Nightmare turned, smiling at the babybones.

Nim grinned as a goopy tentacle picked him up and placed him on his Mama's back, wrapping around him to make sure he didn't fall.

Happily, he fell asleep.

OoOoO

White, white, and white.

It went on as far as the eye could see.

Blue strings hung high above, filled with puppets and crimson souls.

Nim woke with a start, a small sound of protest leaving his mouth.

"Everything okay?" Mama asked in his silly form's voice.

"Funny sleepy," he said with a yawn.

"You might as well stay awake, we're here," Mama said, and knocked on a door.

Nim pouted, he'd missed going through a portal. They were fun to go through.

"Come on in, Nightmare!" Sci Sans said cheerfully. Oh, Nim knew this person! This person gave him checkups.

That meant there should be chocolate here.

The small skeleton did love chocolate