🌲Under The Mistletoe - 23 🌲

Skye's POV

The alarm on my phone goes off playing 'Slide Away' by Miley Cyrus. I begin to sing along to the song.

"Once upon a time, it was paradise
Once upon time, I was paralyzed
Think I'm gonna miss these harbor lights
But it's time to let it go
Once upon a time, it was made for us
Woke up one day, it had turned to dust
Baby, we were found, but now we're lost
So it's time to let it go."

I turn the song off and climb out of bed. Heading to the bathroom I turn the shower on and step in. I quickly wash my hair and body and step out. Walking back to my bedroom I pull out a pair of matching black underwear. I search the closet for my black skirt and white button up shirt.

Walking out of my room I head down the hall to the kitchen where I see Chelsea going through the mail and I hear her mutter. "Bill, bill, bill..." she holds up a thick envelope that looks fancy.

I take it from her and turn it over. On the back is a sticker with an E on it. "Shit," opening it I look at the invite and see that it's for the annual Christmas Party that my parent's best friends hold.

Looks like I'm going back home for the holidays.

Chelsea looks over my shoulder and she whistles. "Damn, you're really lucky to get invited to them Emmanuel families party. I've heard how wild there parties get."

"Do you want to come with me?"

She shakes her head. "I have plans with Conner. We're heading to Honolulu for Christmas. His parents invited us to visit. I can't turn down a free trip out of the country. The only advice I have for you is, don't get into any trouble."

A smile spreads across my face.  "I can't get into much trouble. My parents will have my head on a platter before the end of the night." Throwing the invite onto the table I say. "I have to go to work. See you when I get back."

"Sure," she pours herself another cup of coffee.

Grabbing my stuff from the counter I head out the door and down the corridor to where the lift is. Pressing the button I wait for it to move to my floor. The door opens and I step inside. Looking up I see my childhood neighbour, Jaxtyn.

A smirk appears on his face. "Well, well, look at what we have here. It's my neighbour, Skye Reeves. What are you doing in this place?"

"I live here."

He moves closer to me and places a hand on my face. "Do you remember what I told you when we were growing up?"

I nod. "You said that we'll always be enemies and it didn't matter how much time we were apart you were going to continue to ruin my life."

"And I keep my promises. Now, that I know you're living close by I'm going to do exactly that." He looks up and my eyes follows his. It land on the mistletoe that someone hung from the ceiling.

Oh, fuck.

With force he lifts my head and brings his lips towards mine. His lips brushes mine softly, before he demands entrance and the kiss becomes heated.

He knows how to kiss.

The smell of mint hits me and my legs begin to feel like jelly as we continue to kiss. In the background I hear a light ping and the door opens. Pulling away from him I say. "I'm taking the stairs from now on." Shoving past him I rush out of the building and onto the main street. I stop at the side of the road and wave a cab down.

 When I finish work I head out of the building and see Chelsea in her car

When I finish work I head out of the building and see Chelsea in her car. She waves at me. "I thought I'd see if you needed a lift anywhere?"

A smile spreads across my face. "You didn't have to Chelsea. I'm fine with using Uber everywhere."

She shakes her head. "I don't want you using that company. I can drive you to some places when I have time off from work or the boss tells me I can stay home. So, where are we off to now?"

"We're going to the Country Club. Dad's going to be there with my Grandparents. They won't let him out of there sight until Hannah and Nicole are taken care of."

"I wish I could be here when you take them down, but for some reason I have a feeling it's going to be public showdown as that's the way The Reeves Family likes to handle things."

"You're right. We like to handle things publicly and it's going to be sweet when Nicole and Hannah, get bitten by karma that to my family."

It doesn't take long until we end up at the Country Club.

Grandpa is pacing back and forth of the concrete. He is muttering something I can't make out.

What's gotten him so worked up?

"Are you okay, Grandpa?"

He pulls me into his arms. "No, I'm not. Things have gotten worse with Hannah and Nicole. They've taken off and no one seems to know where they are."

"Have you spoken to Joshua? He knows all the places his wife would hide at."

Sighing, he leans his head down and rest his forehead on mine. "Not this time, Kiddo. Nicole cleaned him out and left divorce papers on the kitchen table."

I'm really not surprised that she did this to him, but things were bound to bite him on the ass after what he's done.

Grandpa pulls his phone out of his pocket and shows me a message.

Dearest Joshua,
                        We had a number of great times together, but it's time for me to move on. You've been the best guy for me. However, I can't give up the life my mother showed me.

It's important to me that I follow on her footsteps and get everything I want. I can't do any more damage to you than I've already done and I'm not going to apologise for that.

To be truthful the Emmanuel and Reeves Families have been fun to play with. We've been caught in our own game and we lost a lot of money because of the Reeves. We gained money after I wiped out your account.

Have a great life. I won't be seeing you again, Josh.

Love
Nicole

Ps Tell Skye she hasn't won and I'm after her next.

Once I've finished reading the letter Grandpa says. "I got this off, Jaxtyn yesterday. He's been helping us get your father to safety. Also, he's helped a lot more too. Jaxtyn is the one that we've been keeping a secret from you. He's been helping because he l..."

No, I don't want to hear anymore.

I cover my ears and then look at him. "Please, don't say it." Looking at the window I see Grandma and she looks furious. "I need to talk to Grandma." I run inside the building and hug her.

A smile spreads across her face. "We need to talk."

"Yes, we do."