ONE

OLIVIA applied another coat of cherry chapstick onto her plump lips whilst looking at herself in the mirror in the Matthews' living room.

     "Hey kiddo, if you apply another coat, your lips will look like a grease vat." Eric teased as he walked past her and into the kitchen.

     The girl rolled her eyes and stuck her tongue out at the older boy. "Shut up, dingus." She mumbled under her breath as she put strands of hair behind her ear, smiling at her reflection in the mirror.

     "Hey Morgan," She started as she turned around, looking down at the little girl who was currently having a tea party. "How do I look?" She asked as she did a pose, showcasing her outfit (above).

     "Like a princess!" The small girl said cheerily as she sat at her pink little tea set. "Aw thanks Morgan!" Olivia gushed, looking back at mirror.

     She grabbed her bag and hummed happily as she walked into the kitchen. "Good morning Mr. and Mrs. Matthews!" She said chirpily.

"Olivia! Why don't you look lovely!" Mrs. Matthews smiled, handing the girl a glass of orange juice. "Thank you, Mrs. Matthews!" Olivia said shyly, sipping the glass of orange juice.

Sounds of footsteps came from upstairs as Cory came down from his room. "Hey Mom! Hey Dad! How ya doing?" The boy asked with a wide smile on his face. He approached Olivia, patting her head. "Hey Liv, looking short." He teased.

She pushed his hand away, her hand going up to fix her hair. "Go back to camp, loser." She said with a roll of her eyes as she took another sip of her orange juice.

"Hey Cor, you're not a nervous wreck?" Mr. Matthews asked, put off by his son's easy going demeanor.

This wasn't just any regular school day. It was their first day of high school; the real deal. This day would determine whether they make it or break throughout their high school years.

"A nervous wreck? No, because I know place." Cory replied smoothly as he grabbed an apple. Olivia raised an eyebrow and looked at him. "And where's that? The kiddie bus?" She joked.

"I understand where I am in the high school universe," he said, ignoring Olivia. "See I'm starting off a nothing - a zero."

"A big booger!" Olivia added, a small smile on her lips. "Can it, grease lips." Cory said as walked over to his dad. Olivia mocked him silently before finishing off her glass of orange juice.

"You know how you tell me, the earlier I do my homework, - the better I'll know the stuff?" He asked.

"You've done your homework?" His mother asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"It's a metaphor!" Cory stated and turned around to his mother. "But all summer long, I bugged Eric about what high school's gonna be like." He pulled out a semi-thick notepad from his shirt, showing his parents.

"That's pretty impressive, Cor." Olivia said, leaning over to look at the book. Cory smiled at her, nodding his head at her. "Thanks, Liv."

"So, how do I avoid years and years of abuse and humiliation?" Cory asked his parents.

"Don't get married." Mr. Matthews replied while looking at the newspaper. Olivia and Mrs. Matthews both crossed their arms, staring at him.

"It's a metaphor!" He said quickly.

"Okay, so here's my plan. Today I make friends with the most feared and influential senior in high school - Harley Keiner. Then, I go from loser to ruler." Cory said, straightening out his shirt.