SIX

OLIVIA walked into the cafeteria, an apple in her hand. She looked around until she found Cory and Shawn. She skipped over to them, a bright smile on her face. "Hey guys!" She said happily. Cory turned around and raised an eyebrow. "Why are you so happy? You realize we're at school?" He pointed out. "Can't I be happy in morning?" She asked with a small shrug.

     "Good morning, John Adams High. After a 10-year absence, we've dusted off the console and put Patriot Radio back on the air!" Mr. Feeny boomed over the PA system. Suddenly, the sound of a pig squealing filled the cafeteria. "What the heck?" Shawn asked, covering his ears. The squealing was soon covered up by fanfare.

     "And with me here, my engineer and wacky side-kick on the morning zoo, Mr. Alvin Meese." Feeny continued. "Thank you, Mr. Feeny, you're a great friend to radio..." Alvin started.

     "That's enough, Alvin. Nobody likes a mic hog." Feeny interrupted. "And now, because the halls of our school beat with the lively heart of contemporary youth here is the happening sounds of Mr. Michael Bolton." The music started playing causing the students to erupt with sounds of protest.

     Shawn ran over to the speaker, a plastic spoon in his hand. He stood on a chair, desperately trying to cut the wires. Olivia and Cory stood behind him, along with a few other students. "Ah! Make it stop! Make it stop!" Cory yelled, covering up his ears. "It's hard to cut the wires with a plastic spoon." Shawn pointed out. Olivia groaned and plugged up her ears. "Just rip the whole speaker down!" She whined.

     Mr. Turner walked into the cafeteria, a tray in his hand. He saw his students trying to take the speaker and sighed softly, shaking his head. He walked over to them, picking up a plastic knife of his tray. "Hey, guys. Try this knife." He suggested, handing it over to Shawn. "Good idea." Cory complimented. Once they realized they had been caught, they turned around, guilty smiles on their face. "Down." Turner ordered.

     Shawn jumped down from the chair, sighing softly. "Come on, guys. The station's only been on five minutes. Is it really that bad?" Turner asked.

     "And now, a little change of pace. A blast from my past this is Mr. Perry Como." Feeny announced, as classical music started playing. Cory groaned and looked up at his teacher. "Look, Mr. Turner, you clip the wires and we'll cover for you." Olivia said, handing him the plastic knife. "You don't like what you hear? Get on the air and do better." Mr. Turner stated as he walked over to a table.

     The trio followed behind him. "Us? On the radio?" Shawn asked skeptically. "Yeah." Mr. Turner shrugged. "See if you can squeeze it in between doing nothing at school, and nothing at home."

     Olivia crossed her arms, huffing. "Hey, unlike these meatheads, I do my schoolwork and I'm in dance, gymnastics, and student council." She pointed out. "What are you two saying? We don't do anything?" Shawn asked.

     "Yep." Mr Turner and Olivia said in unison.

     "You know, we should think about that." Cory interjected, looking back at Shawn. "I don't wanna." Shawn replied, his hands on his hips. "No, Shawn, maybe he's got a point." Cory continued. "I mean, maybe if we became radio personalities, then we'd have personalities." Olivia took a bite from her apple, nodding her head. "For once, Cory has a point." She agreed.

     "I don't wanna do nothing." Shawn stated. Olivia rolled her eyes and looked at Shawn. "Look, radio is just sitting around and talking." She replied.

     "Like we are now?" Shawn asked, looking between the two. "Yeah. Maybe you have to push a button." Cory said with a shrug. Shawn nodded, slowly gaining interest. "How hard?" He questioned. Olivia poked at his chest slightly, a smile on her face. "Like that." She replied. He poked her back, grinning. They both started poking each other, giggling like kids.