part 26: retiring?

Your pov.

Ever since I got out of hospital things have been great. Well. Not exactly. Steve had to bring the stones back but. He decided it was best for him to go to his own time. It's just better. That's the way he can be with peggy. The way he can be happy. Sam is going to be captain america, bucky is helping him out. Peter's going to Europe and nick wants to set him up on a mission. Things seem to be going good. "Hey baby? Can I ask you something?" "Yeah tony anything" "well. How would you feel if we...quit" "quit? The avengers?" "Yeah. You know retire. Stop being iron man and spitfire" "why?" "Well. Life's going good. I don't think anything else is coming and when it does. We'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it" "I guess you're right. Who's looking after our territory then hotshot?" "I was thinking the spiderling" "really? Peter just got back. He's seventeen" "we can still help out but I think he's capable and I know you do too" "yeah" "come on y/n think about it. Imagine a quiet life where we don't have to be looking over our shoulders all the time for aliens" "I know but. It isn't Peter's job to look after everyone. We took that responsibility. It's our job to keep it Tony" "I know but what if. What if we just had less work. Less worries than now huh?" "It would be great but we're here to fight the battles the people never could" "I know" "We're looking out for the little guys now. There's no more thanos. No more aliens He needs help Tony. We aren't retiring for good right?" "Right" "I'm sure peter will like that we're given him a little more responsibility and independence. If he wants to do it then okay" he smiles. "I just want you out of this hospital" "me too Tony" a doctor walks in. "Speaking of that you can go home" "really?" "Yeah tests are clear and your arm is..." I look down. "Fine" "wow okay. Thank you for everything" "no mrs stark. Thank you" "its okay. It was the right thing to do" I go outside and see murals and pictures and memorabilia of me and tony everywhere. When we get home we're on the news. I turn it up. "Tony and grace stark have reportedly died in the incident..." I flip the channel. "Tony and y/n stark have saved the world once more and..." I change it again. "Tony and y/n stark have again sacrificed their lives for us and we'd like to..." "the starks have..." "ugh is there nothing that isn't about us?" "They're grateful honey" "I know and I'm happy but my face is everywhere. Hon they know our address I don't want people in front of my house every day that's where Morgan's gonna be. I don't want to tell her she can't play outside because there's paps on the lawn we already had an address leak and you know how that went" "but this time people are grateful" I smile. "Maybe they won't show up" he kisses me and we head to bed. I wake up to talking and camera clicks. "What the hell? Tony. Tony wake up" "what? Oh my god" there is a hug crowd outside of the house. I get changed quickly. "Mrs stark" "mrs stark over here" "over here" "alright! What do you want?!" "We wanted to ask some questions mrs stark" "mommy" I feel morgan tap my leg. "Who are they?" She asks shyly. I kneel down. "No one just go inside" "mrs stark is that your daughter?!" I sigh. "Yes. Yes she is" "is she mr stark's?" "What?!" Yes of course she...look I'm not accepting questions" "mrs stark!" "No please leave" "mrs stark!" "Over here please!" "No go home. I'm not accepting any questions" I see the team pull up. I smirk."is everything alright here y/n?!" Steve shouts sarcastically. "We might have a bit of trouble getting you guys through!" "Don't worry"  "We'll manage" "alright everyone!" I put on my suit "this is a safety suit and any beams that come out of this puppy will only stun you and will only be given if mandatory. Do you wanna take that risk or?" They all leave except for one fan. "Mrs stark?" She says shyly. "Yes?" I ask. "I...I just wanted to give you something for saving us all. I...it's the least I could do" she hands me a handwritten letter addressed to us all. "Thank you. For inspiring me. All of us" I smile. "Just doing my job" "wait here" I go into the garage and find a broken repulsor from my old suit and sign it. I hand it to her. "You seem like a good kid" "this is amazing. The girls at school made fun of me. They said I'd never meet you and you'd rather meet them" she looks down. I frown and put my hand on her shoulder. "Never let anything discourage that ambitious attitude. You don't need a fan club to achieve your biggest goals" she smiles and hugs me. "Thank you" "remember I'm your number one fan" she smiles and runs off. "That was sweet" nat says. "What do you losers want?" I ask jokingly they laugh. "To steal your food where is it?" Clint says. "To see you. Let's read that letter"

To the avengers,

You don't know me. You might never read this but I'm lilly. I'm a big fan of you all and you are really inspiring to me. I just want to thank you for everything. For New York, Washington dc, sokovia, queens and now the universe. My grandpa used to tell me 'we all wish we had super powers. We all wish we could do more than we can do' yet he always said 'with great power comes great responsibility' I was always confused as to why he contradicted himself. But now I get it. We all wish we could be doing more. But we need to be respected with the power we have. You have the greatest power of all. And I'm happy that this great power is in your hands. My grandpa told me he'd met you all at one point or another. He said he'd been to a party of yours,that he'd driven a school bus that spiderman was on and a bunch of other things. I never believed those stories. But they were great stories. If you got this letter I met you and I know I'm really happy I did. Thank you for talking to me. Thank you for letting me meet you.

From lilly.

And there you have it. Our story. It was happy, it was heartbreaking, there was life and there was death. But it was still our story. And I know I'll never forget it.