Chapter 2 - ADELINE

Chapter 2

ADELINE

"the mile high club" 

*

Everyone was silent, staring at Adeline. Selena's brows were raised and Oliver looked at her like she was crazy.

"Ridley," Adeline breathed.

He looked amused, the corner of his lip turned up. "Lucas Ridley," he said in his faint British accent. The accent Adeline had been gushing over for the past few weeks. He stuck out his hand.

Adeline stared at it. Slowly, she put her hand in his, and her hand looked so much smaller in comparison. They shook hands slowly.

"How did you know Lucas's last name?" Selena asked.

Adeline hesitated before answering. Inside her mind was going haywire. Ridley. Her Ridley. He was...Lucas - Selena's Lucas.

This was the very same guy that she had been texting last night.

He was Selena's boyfriend, and he had been texting Adeline.

Her mouth was dry, and she had to lick her lips before answering. She noticed Ridley - Lucas - watching her.

"Er - I think we've met before."

"Really?"

Adeline studied him. His hands were in his pockets, his shoulders relaxed, his eyes unworried. Did he really not recognise her? Or was he just playing dumb?

"Yeah," Adeline said. "Maybe at a university event, or something?"

"A uni even?" Oliver echoed incredulously.

Adeline swallowed. "Yes. Something like that. A fundraiser? A competition. I can't remember exactly, but I've seen you before. I must have learned your name from that." She laughed, and cringed at herself - the laugh sounded high and false.

Selena and Oliver continued to stare at her as if she were insane.

Lucas stared too, but then his hint of a smile reappeared. "You're right - I did attend student events during the school year. We must have met then."

Adeline nodded, breathing a sigh of relief.

"Well, what a coincidence!" Selena said. She checked her Marc Jacobs wristwatch and said, "We should head to our terminal now. Come on." She linked her arm around Lucas's and lead the way.

Oliver nodded, and put his headphones back in, dwindling behind them.

Adeline took a long sip of her coffee. What was that? What the actual fuck? Lucas Ridley. Lucas Ridley. Lucas fucking Ridley.

He went along with her crappy student events story. Did he actually attend student events? He didn't seem like the type, but then again Adeline, with light blonde hair, big sapphire eyes, and dressed head to toe in Prada, hardly seemed like the type to care about university either.

Adeline forced herself to follow the others, who were a couple of metres ahead. She looked at the back of Lucas's head, his black hair curling slightly at his neck. She bet his hair was soft.

Then, with his arm entwined with Selena's, he turned around and caught her looking at him. Adeline's heart jumped. His eyes flicked up and down at her. He smiled.

Then he looked away.

When Adeline finally got a hold of herself and caught up to them, her body felt hot, as if her skin was on fire.