CHAPTER 10 - SELENA

Chapter 10

Selena

"meeting the business man." 

*

The slick black Mercedes zoomed down the highway like a comet. Inside, the latest hit songs were playing on low volume as Selena clutched the steering wheel. In the passenger seat, Oliver was playing on his phone, messaging some girl.

They hadn't talked since they got into the car, some half hour earlier. Selena was thankful, because if they did start talking, Oliver would inevitably start an argument and infuriate her.

"I actually really like this car," Oliver said.

Damn it, Selena thought. She had jinxed the silence.

"Do you?" She replied in a disinterested tone.

"It's smart and simple," Oliver explained.

Simple? Selena's car was not simple.

"But in a classy way," Oliver added. "Too bad a Mercedes isn't fancy enough for me."

"Right," Selena said. "You love all those James Bond cars, don't you?"

"I'm just saying that anybody could buy a Merc. But you have to have real class to - "

"You're such a posh prick," Selena interrupted. "And don't act like you have class."

Oliver shrugged. "Well, maybe not away from home. But we both know that in front of our families we act like perfect children."

"Yes, we do," Selena said through gritted teeth.

Oliver noticed her tone. "Hey. You alright?"

Selena sighed. "Yeah. I mean, I'm actually really annoyed I have to go to the office. Sorry, I don't mean to take it out on you."

"It's alright," Oliver said with a dismissive hand. "I'm used to it."

Selena smiled, and focused her eyes on the road. Outside, it was still light, but she would end up driving back to Port Summer in the dark. Damn Spencer.

Spencer Tate was the man at the office who had called Selena, and he treated Selena like an insolent child just because she detested having to do anything with the family business. If she could have a dollar every time Spencer said, it's the Winthrop corporation that bought you that handbag, Selena would double her net worth. And sure, Selena was getting a business degree to eventually work at the business, but that was something she wanted to postpone as much as possible.

To try and calm herself down, Selena noticed the beautiful landscape that surrounded the road. To one side, the ocean lay in the distance, glittering blue. On the other side, she saw small towns and dry farms and great mountains in the distance.

She was in a beautiful place at the moment. All she wanted from her life was holidays like these. Staying in beautiful places, surrounded by lovely people.

Oliver leaned over and turned down the music. Okay, maybe he wasn't so lovely.

"What are you doing?" Selena demanded. "That was a good song."

"Has Adeline ever had a boyfriend?"

Selena jolted in shock at the question, glancing at Oliver, then quickly back at the road. "What - what kind of question is that?"

"A normal question. I mean, I've never seen her with a boyfriend. She doesn't even date people - not really. Usually she just hooks up with them. So, I guess what I'm asking is if she's ever had a boyfriend - you know, before I met her."