Chapter 3 - LUCAS

Chapter 3

LUCAS

"she's a threat"

*

They had a layover in Abu Dhabi for an hour and a half, and the four of them wandered around the terminal looking for a place to eat.

Lucas was holding hands with Selena, but couldn't help noticing Adeline's seething expression. Her eyes were on fire, her mouth a firm, straight line. She refused to meet his eyes as they followed Oliver in search of good food.

Though she looked furious, Lucas couldn't help admiring Adeline's beauty. Her skin was still light despite the beginning of summer, yet was dusted with honey-coloured freckles everywhere. On her face, her shoulders, her collarbone, her arms and her legs...

He looked away. Lucas couldn't check her out - that would only fuel the fire. Instead, he looked around. Everything here was sleek and modern, as if they'd been transported into the future. Through the windows he noticed the dry desert, blinding sun and cloudless sky. The light blue colour was the same shade as Adeline's eyes...

He remembered the first time he'd messaged Adeline on Tinder. She was so beautiful, it just felt right. As if the universe had sent him someone that matched what he found attractive in a girl perfectly.

Even though they'd never met in person, he felt he got to know her through their messages, which was full of teasing and flirting and...not so PG-13 stuff. It wasn't just the nude photos she sent that turned him on. It was everything - her personality, the hints of intelligence that peeked in her messages, the way she looked hot as hell.

He looked down, at his fingers intwined with Selena's. With a clench of his jaw, he forced himself to stop complimenting Adeline in his mind.

Shit, he really was in a sticky situation, wasn't he? Hopefully Adeline wouldn't do anything rash - from all he knew of her, which admittedly might not count for much, since he had only a few real-life conversations with a few and several online ones, she seemed like a rational and logical girl. Hopefully she wouldn't blow everything up.

Because for all Lucas had been going on about Adeline's beauty, he still found Selena incredibly attractive too. She had long brown hair and round lips and big eyes. She was fun and bubbly, and though she was a little bossy, she was confident.

Not that Adeline wasn't confident, because she was. But there was something else about her, a subtlety, a mystery.

It made Lucas wonder if she was like him.

He shook his head now, as if he could physically push the thought out of his head. It was no use comparing them - Lucas didn't have a choice anyway. And there was a reason he was dating Selena.

"Let's go here," Oliver announced, leading them into a restaurant decorated with old wood and several plants. They all took their seats and ordered meals.

"Not that hungry, Adeline?" Oliver asked when Adeline only ordered a small salad.

She shook her head. "The plane ride made me feel..." she locked eyes on Lucas, "...sick."

Lucas raised a brow at her. He'd been mostly courteous...right? Perhaps he shouldn't have made that mile-high club comment, but she hadn't said anything about it.

"Aw, that's sucks," Selena said. "Maybe we should get you some painkillers before we leave."

Adeline nodded. "I can't believe Australia is so far away. I mean, I shouldn't be surprised, but the plane ride is torturous."

"At least we're in first class," Oliver said. "I can't imagine what economy is like."

While everyone else murmured in agreement, Lucas's phone pinged. He'd received a message from Jonathan.

How is it going so far?

Lucas typed out a reply. Fine. Good.

All friendly?

Well...most of them. But I can handle it.

Update me when you arrive in Port Summer.

Will do.

"Who was it?" Selena asked when he put his phone away.

"My mother. I'm an adult yet she still worries," he laughed.

He noticed Adeline looking at him with slightly narrowed eyes, as if she knew he was lying. Thankfully Oliver spoke and distracted them.

"Load her up with lies," he said. "My parents think I've totally changed since graduating high school, and all I have to do is mention the word "responsibility" every time I'm on the phone with them. That, and attend their charity events and tell their friends how well I'm doing at Oxford."

"A total lie by the way," Selena said just as the waiter arrived with their food.

They soon began eating, and Lucas stole a look at Adeline whose eyes were on her meal. He was confident this summer would go smoothly, except...he worried she might be the one to make everything fall down and burn. That she, with her alluring beauty, and even more dangerously, her intelligent mind, would threaten everything Lucas planned. 

*

hey all, 

I hope you enjoyed this short chapter in Lucas's POV. 

Frequent updates coming soon! 

xx