Chapter 8 - ADELINE

Chapter 8 

Adeline

"shopping with trust funds" 

*

The following day, the four of them had lunch together, which was a surprise considering that at least one of them would be out for the afternoon.

"Adeline and I are going shopping after this," Selena announced as she speared a baby tomato with her fork.

"I'm so excited," Adeline said. "I feel like I haven't been shopping in ages. I hope the shops around here are good."

"Oh, they are," Selena said. "I was surprised when I first came here, but I guess this place is a pretty affluent tourist spot. At the shopping centre, Ocean Heights, they have Chanel, Hermes, Valentino...everything. Besides, we need to get something to wear for the Summer Ball."

"Shit, I forgot about that," Oliver said before filling his mouth with chicken salad. "When is it again?"

Selena gave him an exasperated look. "This Saturday night, Oliver."

"And today is?"

"It's Wednesday," Selena said, looking at him like he was a child.

"Well, you know how summer is," he said in his defence. "The days all blur together, and I don't even have a calendar."

"The Summer Ball?" Lucas asked.

Selena turned to him. "Remember how I was telling you about that charity ball held in the city, in the Collins Tower? That's the Summer Ball."

"Ah, right." Lucas laughed. "Fuck, I forgot about that too. And I didn't pack a suit."

"That's alright babe - maybe you could come on our shopping trip?"

"No," Adeline interrupted, her voice loud and sharp.

Everyone stared at her.

Okay, maybe Adeline had been a little harsh, but who could blame her? She'd been in a terrible mood ever since yesterday when she realised she couldn't get rid of her lust, and spending the whole day with Lucas would only make her angrier.

"It's a girls day today," Adeline added by way of explanation.

"That's alright," Lucas said. "I can go another day."

"If you're sure," Selena said.

"He's sure," Adeline said, again without thinking.

Again, everyone turned to look at her. She ate some food.

"So what's the charity for?" Lucas asked.

And here he was again, Adeline thought, pretending to be the good guy. Pretending to be moral and philanthropic, when really he was an infuriating dickhead.

Adeline remembered yesterday. She remembered being in the kitchen, and Lucas telling her that she liked his infuriating personality, to an extent. That she liked his flirting.

Did she?

"For sick children, or something," Oliver said. "Cancer, maybe?"

"It's not cancer," Selena said. "And please don't sound so blasé when you talk about sick children, it makes you sound like a rich prick."

"If it's not cancer, what is it?" Oliver asked, continuing to bicker with her like children.

"It's something to do with the lungs, I don't know, I don't study medicine."