Chapter 4 - ADELINE

Chapter 3

Adeline

"power games" 

*

Adeline couldn't decide whether she wanted to slap Lucas or rip his clothes off. Ultimately, she couldn't do either, and so settled for the next best option. Fierce silence.

When they arrived in Australia, the sun was already high in the sky and the temperature was surprisingly pleasant. It was warm, but not too hot to be uncomfortable.

There was a sleek black car waiting for them outside the airport. "Father organised a car for us to take to Port Summer."

"Aren't we spoiled," Lucas joked once they were seated comfortably inside.

"Only the best for us, babe," Selena said.

Adeline gritted her teeth. Then she wondered whether Lucas was one of them. He would have to be, for Selena to date him. Not that Selena meant to be classist, but in her view, relationships would only work with people with the same type of lifestyle.

Lucky for Adeline, Oliver did the asking for her.

"Ridley. I don't think I've heard of your family, Lucas."

"You wouldn't have," he replied.

Oliver and Adeline waited.

"His family is in media," Selena supplied unhelpfully.

In media as in the owner of a media conglomerate? Or as owning a tiny local newspaper with a circulation of 3000 copies?

Adeline caught her thoughts. Don't judge, she told herself. Don't be one of those snobby judgy bitches. It was Lucas's business anyway, and whether he was rich or not didn't change the fact that he was an asshole.

An asshole that was infuriatingly attractive.

"Where did you go to high school?" Oliver asked, unsatisfied with the little information they'd been given.

"I actually went to school in America," Lucas said. "Boarding school. Ugh." He rolled his eyes, and Adeline's heart stopped at the sight.

Pull yourself together, her mind screamed. You're insane for him. Just because of his face. And his body. Remember his dickhead personality. Don't forget.

"Which one?" Oliver asked, persistent.

"Oh, Oliver, leave him alone," Selena said, waving her hand at him.

Lucas laughed awkwardly, then made eye contact with Adeline.

She glared at him, then looked out of the window. In the distance, she saw the ocean which glittered with the reflection of the sea.

*

Finally, they arrived in Port Summer, where modern beach houses lined the beach, surrounded with tall fences for privacy. When they turned up the road to Selena's family's beach house, Adeline gasped.

"Oh my god, Selena, it's too much."

"Nothing's too much for us," Selena laughed.

"No, seriously, there must be ten bedrooms in that house."

Oliver stretched his arms out behind his head, and grinned. "All the more parties for us to host."

Adeline turned back to look at the house, which grew larger as the car approached it. It was built atop a hill, looking over at the ocean. It was double story, with a white exterior and glass balconies, surrounded by manicured green grass. Beside the house was a large turquoise pool, white pool chairs, and an outdoor shower made of wood.