You Might Not Believe Me

At first she was surprised by the order but she knew she had no other choice but to follow Freya. So she did.

Soon they were in an alleyway. Away from prying eyes. And ears. Izel wasn't going to show her how nervous she was, so she said,

"You gonna kill me now or something? You know, no witnesses and all?" she asked with an attitude and raised brows.

"As much as I'd love to, I can't do that. I don't do that anymore. I brought you here so no one can eavesdrop" Freya answered with a straight face.

Izel nodded. Not knowing what the woman went through but understanding her sentiment.

"I'm still waiting for an explanation" Freya said again.

"You might not believe me..." Izel started.

"I'm a one thousand year old original witch. I am the unbelievable. So I say, try me" Freya replied crossing her arms.

Izel eyes were comically wide at Freya's age. She was literally staring in utter shock and Freya had to bring her out of it,

"So?" Freya asked. And you couldn't really see it but if you focused enough, she had a smug look on her face.

"Right. So.. I needed the books to learn some spells..." Izel started.

"You are a witch?" Freya asked.

"No... Not really.." Izel replied not knowing what else to say.

"What does that mean?" she asked confused.

"I'm not a witch" Izel said this time.

"Then why did you want to learn spells??" Freya asked again.

"I'm not a witch... But I can be one if I want to...." Izel started. And wow she really doesn't know how to explain this. And this is definitely not what she should be starting from. Oh well.

Freya just looked at her confusingly and asked, "What does that mean? What are you?"

"If I tell you, you might want to kill me...." Izel said. Because people like her were not supposed to exist. And here she was.

"Why don't you try me?" Freya asked. Getting irritated by the stalling now.

"I can... Mimic powers.. By touching.." Izel replied fidgeting.

Freya had a surprised and a shocked face. But she also said,

"Ability Replication? That's interesting. I didn't think creatures like those actually existed. How many of you are there?" she asked being fascinated by Izel's abilities.

"Umm.. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one.." Izel replied nervously.

"How can you be so sure?" Freya asked.

"Call it intuition" Izel replied.

She then added nervously, "Can you like not spread the word about what I am..? I really don't want unnecessary attention. I'll return you all the books back if you want. They're no use to me anyways"

Freya nodded and asked, "No use to you? Why?"

With a defeated look, Izel finally admitted, "I can't teach myself fluent Latin, or whatever language used in the books, you know. I mean yeah, I can understand some of it but not all. And I can't teach myself reading the books in the said languages with no actual context on how to read it. And I don't always bump into witches or get threatened by them" she finished with a shrug and a smirk.

Freya rolled her eyes and replied, "I get it. Witches are taught to read the basic tongue of the main languages used in spells since childhood even if they don't do magic"