Your Defender (Mibuchi x Reader)

Average. That's how you define yourself as you struggled to your 2nd year of high school because schoolwork and social drama about your friends and oddly, some rumors about being liked by popular guys despite being "average". But, to be honest, you don't really give a fuck about what other people think. You just focused on what's important to you and just that. 

You rushed back to your classroom after overspending your lunch hour in the library. Midterms are coming and you were really panicking over studying the major subjects you have a hard time understanding. On your way to enter the room, you bumped onto your long-time classmate, Mibuchi Reo, as he was about to exit as well. 

"Ah s-sorry about that Mibuchi-kun!" you apologized, stepping aside his way. 

"(Y/L/N)-chan, you've got a lot of books in your arms" he commented, sliding the door shut as he stepped out. You fixed your glasses that were about to slip from the bridge of your nose and adjusted the way you carried your studying materials.

"Well, exams are coming and I really need to catch up with the formulas if ever I want to pass Math" you sighed, blowing at your bangs in frustration. 

Mibuchi chuckled. He always let out a snicker or stifles a laugh whenever he talks to you. Maybe because he likes the way you talk or he just finds it funny. Either way, whenever you converse with him, you always seem to make him smile even if he has a bad day. 

"You're really determined, (Y/L/N)-chan, I'm really jealous" he smiles. "Even if people talk about you, how you look like, how you act, talk, think, move, it doesn't really bother you, does it?" 

"Of course not. I have enough stress to deal with rather than problematizing what others think of me. So good luck earning fucks from me, I honestly don't want to give some if it's not worth it" you pointed out. Mibuchi smiled at you earnestly. It was always the smile he gives you whenever you say a statement that he'll later agree with or will tell you he loves. 

"You're really amazing, (y/l/n)-chan. I wish everyone thinks like you. It'll be much simply easier to like other persons" he says that catches you off guard. 

'Did he unintentionally say that he likes me...?' you wonder, blinking at him. Noticing that he's been keeping you out of the class, he excuses himself and tells you he was about to go to the bathroom when he bumped into you. He walks away with you still staring at his back. A flashback of junior high goes back into your mind during the time you were walking home from school. 

It was very late when you decided to go home since you overstayed at the library again. You saw some varsity players walking as well and didn't bother to look at them, but they managed to notice you when you passed by them. 

"Hey, it's the weird girl in 3-C!" 

"Oh yeah, I heard she was talking to herself again..."

"Creepy! Did you know she tackled down the dean just because he was telling her to stop reading in dark corners?" 

Then again, rumors would be rumors so you paid no mind to them. But what surprised you is a basketball player walking up to them, and out of the blue, defended you when they badmouthed about you.

"Now, now, gentlemen, is not inappropriate to talk about a very fine lady just as she was just passing by?" It was Mibuchi who just finished his training as well. You stopped on your tracks and turned around to see him with that smile of his again. "Who are you to talk bad about other people when you're not perfect yourself?" that tone made the people you passed by shiver. With that, he walked away from them and towards you, grabbing your hand and offered to walk you home.

"You don't have to..." you mutter as you stared at you intertwined hands. 

"But I want to walk you home so that's it!" Mibuchi says cheerfully and smiles down at you. 

"No not that... you don't have to defend me every time someone talks bad about me... I mean, I don't really mind them, and I know myself those rumors aren't true so..." 

"But they talk bad about you and I don't like that. Besides, I like (Y/l/n)-chan so I'll always defend her~!" 

You sighed as you remember that time Mibuchi confessed to you when you two walked home together; hand in hand to be exact. After that, you didn't even say anything to him, instead, you stayed silent. It was up until graduation that Mibuchi's feelings were unanswered by you, but you know, deep inside, you had an answer to that. And you're completely aware that he's still waiting. 

As you entered your room, you drop your school materials on your desk and decided to sleep throughout the whole period of History. But it wasn't planned that you would wake up during dismissal. A few of your classmate were left in the classroom, including Mibuchi. Standing up, you started fixing your things when Mibuchi approached you.

"Ey~ Let's walk home together, (y/l/n)-chan!" he suggested with a smile.

"Don't you have training?"

"Sei-chan said we should rest for today" 

"Then sure" you nodded your head and grabbed your things before walking out the classroom with Mibuchi. 

As you two passed by other students, their eyes started to eye you two suspiciously. Being handsome, Mibuchi is very popular in your school. You started to feel uneasy with the attention you're getting and let Mibuchi walk a few feet ahead of you by stopping before continuing to walk. He noticed this and went to grab your hand so you two could walk side by side. 

That didn't stop though, because when you two reached the gates, a group of guys came making fun of you. 

"Hey (l/n)! What spell did you use to make Mibuchi like you? I heard you were studying witch craft the other day so you went home late!" Actually you were studying biology during that time... but you know people. 

"Oh dear! How do we save Mibuchi from her?! Calm down buddy! We'll save you-"

"I don't think you need to" Mibuchi spoke up. You felt the hold of his hand on yours tighten. He suddenly let go and approached the leader of the group before grabbing hold of his collar. "Remember when I punched you the other day because you made fun (y/l/n)-chan? No? oh, let me remind you!" you shut your eyes when you heard the collision of the guy's face and Mibuchi's fist. 

He's definitely a guy you don't want to mess with. And you were grateful that he seldom gets violent like this. "Mibuchi-kun that's enough" you settled, grabbing his hand and drag him with you as you two proceed in walking. "You shouldn't have done that..." 

"But I want to. They're always talking bad about you-"

"You know what I'm talking about" you snap and that's when silenced overtook your moment. "You're always defending me that involves you different kinds of trouble. In fights, getting sent to the principal's office, getting bad vibes with people. Mibuchi-kun you've been in trouble because of me-"

"No, I get in trouble because I love you, and you know that" he cuts you off with a serious tone. You let go of his hand and stand in front of him, hanging your head low as you spoke the words,

"Then stop loving me" 

"No" 

"Why?" 

"Because I can't" 

You lift up your head to yell at him but didn't have the chance to when he pulled you into a hug. "I can't let them treat you that way because I love you and will never stop, like the way I always defend you. I'll protect you because you're special to me" his words really made you feel special as you sunk into the emotions pressed into you. You closed your eyes as you hug him back, letting feel the appreciation you had for him. 

"Thank you for everything" you say. 

 You heard him chuckle. "I'll always be your defender, (y/l/n)-chan". You smile and looked up at him, and there you saw that earnest smile of his that you always love to look at.