Said

Dave is a furry part 2

I love him so much holy crap

(Dave's POV)

Both the night of Mitch's return and the night after, my dreams were plagued with echoing screams and visions of places I'd seen before but couldn't remember where. I spent half my time awake probing through my memory, but I never figured out what they were from. It made me question whether I'd really seen them before at all. Maybe they were just false memories created by my brain out of other memories. But even if that was true, which memory would they have been from?
"Hey." Hannah gently prodded my shoulder. "Happy birthday."
I woke from my half-sleep with a start, not realising I'd been partially awake. "Hm?"
She showed me the date on her phone as I rubbed my eyes and slid my glasses onto my face.
"Oh, yeah." I mumbled. "Do you think she'll come? She promised me months ago we'd do something together... Make a video or something..."
"Yeah, 'cause that's exactly what you wanna do with her." She rolled her eyes.
"Hannah!" I jokingly punched her arm.
"I'm your sister; it's my job to tease you." She pointed out.
"I suppose that's fair." I sighed.
As I landed gracelessly onto the floor in a heap in my feeble attempt to get out of bed, I couldn't help but think that at least my dreams weren't what they usually were. A strange place is better than X-rated dreams about pretty much everyone I considered no more than a friend — Amber being more than a friend to me but not to that extent. I sat staring off into space for a while, running the brush through the same part of my hair over and over in my distraction. When Hannah finally asked what I was doing, I snapped out of it and started on the rest of my hair. The moment I was done, I picked up my phone and went into my texts.

Dave: Hey

A few minutes passed.

Amber: Hey. Happy breathday

I chuckled at how she always remembered to say "breathday" instead of "birthday."

Dave: thanks lol
Amber: So does this mean I can call you an old man now?
Dave: ...no
Amber: Why notttttttttttt
Dave: Because I'm not
Amber: Oooooooh somebody's in denial
Dave: HEY
Amber: HEY YOU YOU
Dave: I DONT LIKE YOUR GIRLFRIEND
Amber: Bitch don't insult my 11 years of history with girls ya dumb f*ck
Dave: Right... Sorry...
Amber: It's fine. So whaddya wanna do today?
Dave: Surprised you even wanna talk to me anymore
Amber: I'll always wanna talk to you D
Dave: Glad to hear
Amber: I can bring cake mix or something and we can just sit in the dark and eat cake like depressed weirdos. Could share it too I guess but who the hell is stupid enough to share cake
Dave: Fair. Depressed weirdos it is then
Amber: K I'll be over soon

Hannah was gone, so I got changed and scrolled through Twitter until Amber showed up. She put the small box down on the table and threw herself at me, knocking me down. I kissed her back for the few seconds before she pulled back, her hand right below my waistline again, grinning fondly.
"You sure?" She smirked. "It is your breathday after all, you know."
"I'm good." I chuckled nervously. "Thanks."
She shook her head quickly and got off me. "Sorry, I shouldn't've said anything. I'ven't been myself lately. Just stress from worrying about... you know."
"You know I wouldn't tell anyone if my life depended on it." I promised.
She looked down at her wrists and sighed to herself. The blue of her veins had become a sickening blackish-red.
"What did you...?" I asked hesitantly.
She pulled out a piece of paper describing her promise, like a contract. At the very bottom she'd written her name in her own blood, which was now the same colour as her veins.
"It poisons you if you break the promise." She murmured darkly. "I'm not poisoned anymore, but I'm not sure if that colour's permanent or not."
"That counts as breaking the promise?" I gawked. "Someone magically entering your mind against your will counts as breaking the promise?"
"It wouldn't if I hadn't had the ability to stop you from doing it." She muttered. "I'm not blaming you. I should've told you anyway."
I brought her into the kitchen and we did exactly what we said we'd do: we spent fifteen minutes in the dark eating a cake by ourselves. It was actually not as sad as it sounds. We had a good time. However, at one point she kissed me, I f*cking blinked and suddenly we were lying on my bed like this: