two. (prisoner)

TWO | "some rules need to be broken"

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

   THREE days. That's how long Nova has managed to obey Indra's orders for. Staying in the village has just got so boring and monotonous after that. Nova constantly wants to be in the know, to at least have some sort of idea of what's going on out there.

   Fortunately, Astoria and Harlo have been her eyes and ears. Although, some things they've told her she'd rather not know about, like the fact that a sky person got speared just the other day and her people had strung him up as live bait. She realised at that point that it was probably best she wasn't apart of it because maybe she'd feel too guilty to harm one of them. After all, she didn't expect to react the way she did when she first saw the sky people in person.

But one day, after dark, Nova notices Lincoln sneaking out of his tent, which is coincidentally next to hers. He's been distant recently, often choosing to hunt by himself, or exploring out of the village without any warning, which can be common for him because he's solitary like Nova, but he's never usually this quiet and secretive. She hasn't even spoke to him in days, even though he normally never fails to make the effort to at least check in on her.

Curiosity overcomes Nova's desire to follow the rules. In the dead of night, with her footsteps as light as possible, she tiptoes across the village and towards the forest, carefully trying to follow where Lincoln has stepped only a couple minutes before and being cautious enough to constantly check her surroundings for anyone else about. She doesn't want to give her village another reason to not trust her.

Nova quickly figures out the route Lincoln is taking, and her palms start to sweat slightly. He's heading towards the cave in which herself and her father were in when she was eight, only she hasn't been there since. Lincoln has never let her go back there and she's just always abided by his request.

Questioning whether she should turn back to the village or not, Nova pauses but rapidly shakes the thought from her head. She's too wrapped up in her inquisitiveness to stop now, so she carries on for another hour until she sees Lincoln in the distance dip into the caves entrance. Nova doesn't waste any more time and catches up to him. She hesitates at the entrance, but heads in nonetheless, mentally bracing herself for the flashbacks that are to come. Although, they don't come straight away, which surprises her. In their place, she hears a girl's voice coming from the depths of the cave, pleas not to hurt her.

   Nova figures hiding probably isn't the best thing to do in this situation and follows his voice around a corner. Lincoln has his back to her and the girl, who appears to be rather battered with open wounds covering her face, widens her eyes at the sight of Nova, which, in turn, makes Lincoln turn around.

   He's not surprised to see Nova there, he thought she'd follow him at some point. But he's slightly annoyed that she's in the cave when he's repeatedly told her not to enter for her own sake.