twelve. (full circle)

TWELVE | "no rest for the wicked"

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

THE forest, Nova has always thought, is one of those places that is a grim reminder of what life can throw at you. It's a creaking shack created by nature to serve as a reminder that things could always be much, much worse. The unnatural, choking mist that swirls and sprawls on the forest floor is the first thing that spoke of a strange sort of wrongness.

   A yawn escapes her lips as the leaves crunch beneath her feet. She hasn't slept in God knows how long. A sinking feeling reignites in her chest — she can't fight a battle when her body is already giving up on her. And her journey is only just beginning. No rest for the wicked, right?

   Only half an hour ago did she leave Clarke and Finn by a small clearing close to their camp. While Finn was refilling his bottle with water from the river, Nova ushered Clarke aside, that being her only chance to ask for a favour.

   Her palms became clammy, nervous as to what Clarke's reaction would be. She had only known her for a day. "Can you do this one thing for me?"

   Clarke nodded, vivaciously, but with cautious eyes.

   "Can you tell Nathan Miller I said hi? Say my name's Noo, he should know who you mean as soon as you mention that."

   Almost as though she expected it, Clarke's eyes grew wide with excitement. "Noora, right?"

   "Uh, I don't—" Nova stuttered, panicked. She didn't expect her to know straight away. She thought Clarke didn't have a clue about her true identity, and the addition of being called her birth name for the first time since landing on the ground majorly threw her off as she cautiously looked back at Finn to ensure he didn't hear that.

   "Please don't worry. I won't tell anyone if you don't want me to," Clarke reassured her, taking a weight off of Nova's shoulders as she slowly nodded, clarifying she would rather her secret stayed just that.

   "How did you know about me?"

   "You still look the same as you did when you were younger. I thought I was delusional when it first came to my mind that it was you, but the more time I've spent with you, and your drive to help us, has confirmed my suspicions. It's nice to know you're alive, Noora."

   "It's nice to hear my name come from someone's voice that isn't mine." She laughed out of pitifulness, but Clarke gave her a heartfelt glance, putting her hand gently on Nova's arm.

"I'll make sure Miller knows you're alive. He at least deserves that." Maybe she was wrong about Clarke after all. She possesses leadership qualities and that can be intimidating, but she will do anything for her people, and Nova admires that.