four. (call her bluff)

FOUR | "you seem different"

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

   THE following morning, Nova doesn't actually feel as exhausted as she thought she would

   THE following morning, Nova doesn't actually feel as exhausted as she thought she would. She hadn't spent all night at the bunker like she thought would've happened, mainly because Murphy fell asleep not long after teasing Nova about the fact that she hated being called 'doll'. She hadn't even realised at first that he had fallen asleep until his light snores echoed off the walls, replacing the sound of their voices.

Having decided it was probably best to leave, Nova quietly crept out of the bunker and back to her village, her mind set on coming back the next evening. She feels almost drawn to help him, or at least bring some light to his situation. However, the fact Nova didn't tell Murphy the truthful reason as to why she's helping him means that there's always a possibility of him turning her name in to Anya or Indra, but she feels that it's a risk she needs to take, even if it could result in Nova being shunned from Trikru.

With a spring in her step, Nova practically skips over to her groups usual meeting place at the trunk of a tree on the outskirts of the village. She meets Harlo's gaze first. He's sitting on a log with an abundance of fruit at his side, a smile forming on his face as he realises Nova's sudden burst of energy.

   "You seem...happy?" Harlo furrows his brows, slightly puzzled by the fact that she seems so upbeat, despite how difficult he thinks she's finding her current restrictions.

   "Yes, and you seem rather perplexed at that."

   Harlo shrugs, throwing a wild berry into his mouth and catching it. "No, just curious."

   "Didn't know it was a crime for me to smile now and then." She laughs, Nova's lips curve upwards and she flashes a taunting smile at her friend. She may be joking, but Harlo knows she's hiding something, the simply fact being her face gives it away long before words escape her lips. Though, he decides against pressing her for more information. He knows Nova well enough that she will eventually tell him sooner or later.

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

   Screams echo the woods surrounding the bunker, Nova instantly knowing the source of it being Murphy. His cries of pain can be heard from almost a mile away, which makes her sprint across the remaining woodland in order to get to him faster, completely disregarding the fact that someone could be out there. He sounds like he's dying. It's painful for Nova to listen to, let alone actually go through. She doesn't have time to light the torch, and instead just bursts through the bunker's door, her heart racing with adrenaline and fear.

   Through the faint light let into the bunker by the moon, Nova witnesses the boy doubled over on the floor, his knees up to his chest and his head buried within his legs. His screams haven't subsided in the slightest, and he hasn't even noticed Nova enter the room.