thirteen. (game of survival)

THIRTEEN | "we're okay"
━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

THIRTEEN | "we're okay"━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

   "HARLO?"

"HARLO?"

Nova's mind turns in to a whirlwind of thoughts and assumptions and her eyes take in more light than expected, every part of her goes on pause while her thoughts catch up. Has she been betrayed by him, too?

   The moment her suspicions start raging in her mind, Harlo holds his hands up in surrender, slowly approaching them with a warming expression on his face. He is no threat, and Nova instantly breathes out any tension in her body, knowing that her best friend is still on her side. Despite her leg injury hindering her movement, she manages to stand up and wrap her arms around Harlo, thankful she's not held back by any physical restrains.

   "You're the person who Tristan sent to guard me?" Nova beams as she looks at him with hopeful eyes. He nods.

"I volunteered. Tristan doesn't know my relationship with you, so I thought it's better to be me than someone like Rento."

The sudden eruption of gunfire in the distance startles all three of them, turning their heads in the direction of the distinctive noise. The night sky lights up for a second and what follows sounds a lot like the end of the world. The atmosphere between them becomes completely quiet, eerie. From their position, nothing has changed, but it's a different story over the other side of the hill. They all know what this means: the war has started.

For a moment, they're transfixed by the sound of the battle, until Nova looks back at Harlo with curious eyes. "Do you know why I'm here?"

   She knows the answer just by his eyes. He nods, looking at the ground.

   "I spoke to Astoria." His lip quivers. He already knows her fate.

   "You did what?" Nova's mouth hangs agape, in disbelief that her story was told to him by Astoria and not Nova herself. This was the only thing in her control, and Astoria has taken that away from her too.

"Astoria came to me and explained everything. She felt guilty for keeping it from me."

"She felt guilty for lying to you, but not betraying me? Oh, spare me with that shit." Nova rolls her eyes, beyond frustrated at how Astoria has taken everything away from her.