ten. (life and death)

TEN | "i'm so sorry"

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

HOURS. It takes Nova many countless hours for her eyes to comfortably close, allowing sleep to take over her body. Her mind fails to stop re-playing her last encounter with Murphy, guilt seeping in at every given moment. But, as dawn creeps closer, the sun resolutely below the horizon, Nova's body finally succumbs to the exhaustion, although, her mind isn't giving up that easily.

   Not long after falling asleep, she's jolted awake once again, sweat dripping down her forehead as her heart races at an abnormal speed. Her throat is dry, she's craving even just a drop of water. She usually avoids leaving her tent during the night, but she's desperate for a drink, so she braves the darkness.

   The atmosphere in the village at night vastly contrasts that in the daytime. The world is as silent as if it ended during the time Nova briefly drifted out of consciousness.

   Her feet are light on the abrasive ground as she tiptoes her way to the watering station. As she gets there, only a few unused makeshift, wooden cups remain, and she swiftly pours what is left of the clean water into her cup. The first sip of water feels almost euphoric, it's just the thing she needs to calm herself down.

   But, Nova's peace is shattered in a split second. From behind her, a hand wraps tightly around her mouth, making her gag at the sudden contact. Almost immediately, a cloth is placed around her mouth and a blindfold is forced around her eyes. She attempts to scream at the top of her lungs, but her voice merely comes out a whimper. Her arms are flailing and her legs are furiously kicking, but neither of these actions are helpful. Nova is flung over someone's broad shoulder, and her tiny frame is no match for her opponent's large and muscular one.

The darkness has been her friend every night, acting as a cover when she sneaks out to see Murphy. But, it has soon become her enemy, allowing her captor to sneak up on Nova without her being remotely aware of the danger.

Seconds later, as the person starts to silently trudge through the village, she notices her eyesight begins to blur and her head lightly spins. Her consciousness is floating through an empty space filled with a thick static. Throughout the inky space, her heartbeats pound loudly, echoing in her ears, alongside her fading pleas for help. Before she loses all consciousness, her thoughts are raging. Her first thought is that she's going to die, but the rational part of her mind tells her she's been drugged, and, if that's the case, she knows she's in deep trouble. Eventually, all feeling in Nova's body drains away until finally all is black, her body limp in the man's arms.

A headache rips through her brain as her body physically begins to wake up from the drug. She thought she was going to die, so realising she's alive is always a blessing.

   Though, the rush of happiness turns out to be rather ephemeral as her situation soon dawns upon her. A blindfold still covers her eyes with the new addition of shackles to her wrists, but her gag has been removed. She's not outside, there's no wind and she can't hear the sound of the birds in the trees. Some kind of underground bunker? The ground she's slumped on is unwelcoming, her surroundings are mute, and she doesn't know how long she's been unconscious for.