epilogue.

R A R I T Y | E P I L O G U E

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

   Surrounded by four white walls, Nova feels there is nothing else to do but stare at them

Surrounded by four white walls, Nova feels there is nothing else to do but stare at them. To look at the paint that has started to chip off as time has passed, or gouged by people that have previously called this room their home — anything to pass time, slowly going mad, theorising absurd meanings from the wall's blank stare.

   The only thing to pull her out of her own thoughts is the piercing sound of multiple gunshots being randomly fired across the hallway. The metal door is bolt locked most of the time, at Nova's own choice, but this is too serious not to investigate.

Curiosity engulfs her mind. She presses her ear to the door in attempt to find out what the commotion is about.

Through the closed door come raised voices, each to and fro of the verbal fight getting more shrill, more severe. Nova withdraws her hand from the handle and creeps backwards. She takes a deep breath in and, without thinking about what she is doing too much, pulls the door open with such a force it creates a draft.

   Her eyes scan the hallway, but muffled voices can be heard from one room she knows all too well: Lexa's.

As Nova approaches her friends room, breathing deep from running, she is forced to stop dead in her tracks as she sees a scene she never wanted to imagine. The rare black blood oozes out of Lexa's chest, shock stricken on her face as she processes her sudden fate. Titus stands before her, gun in hand but strewn by his side, with Clarke screaming out of emotional turmoil. Her head shakes as her mind attempts to deny the inevitable outcome. But it's who is standing in the corner that surprises Nova the most.

  John Murphy. The boy who she never thought she would see again, let alone be in the same room with.

Nova's whole body freezes at the sight of him, like time is passing by her but her mind refuses to catch up. Her eyes interlock with his for a brief moment, but their reunion is not the most important thing right now. Lexa is close to death, and that means no good for both Nova and the sky people.

   Forcefully tearing her eyes away from Murphy, Nova rushes to her friend's side, with Clarke the opposite end, tears evident in her eyes. Up until this moment, Clarke hadn't noticed her presence. It's only when Nova is opposite her does she realise the girl who she thought was dead is, in fact, alive. Though, Clarke's wide eyes are only momentary, before her concern returns to Lexa.

In front of her, Lexa heaves for breath, as if every gulp of air is a struggle for her. It's hard not to notice Clarke's hope, willing her to survive, her need to fix the gaping bullet-hole in Lexa's chest greater than any chance of Clarke facing the grim reality.

   Almost as if her heart is willing her, Nova takes a glance back at Murphy, her eyes laced with despair. He returns a similar expression, although his face still emulates the over-whelming feeling of seeing Nova again, despite the situation they find themselves in.