Chapter 14

We stayed at the lake all together the rest of the day. Pony insisted on watching the sunset and so did Dally. I guess Dally read the letter I wrote to Pony boy when I was close to being dead. We were having a good time until Dally's started getting curious.
"Hey Laine where did that little boyfriend of yours go I left you with this morning?"
He asked. I frowned and she frowned.
"Um well he left"
She said. Dally looked confused.
"Um why?"
"Well Johnny showed up and some things happened"
She answered. He stood up now.
"Did he try to hurt Johnny!"
He snapped. We both sighed and I answered.
"No it turned out that her boyfriend was one of the Soc.'s who jumped me in the lot"
I answered now Dally was pissed.
"He was the one who gave me the cuts all over my body"
I said. Dally had his fists clenched as he paced back and forth.
"Where the hell is he now?"
He asked angry.
"He told me that if I stick up for these greasers he was going to leave and head back to the university"
Laine answered.
"Next time he comes up he's dead"
He snapped and we laughed as we watched him sit back down and cool of staring at the stars above. Laine sat in the log in front of me looking at the stars.
"Make a wish"
I whispered to her as I saw the star we made wishes on so long ago.
"I wish for you forever"
She said with a smile.
"Don't wish for something you already have"
I said mimicking what she said to me months ago. She smiled and stood up sitting in my lap in a straddle just like before. She cupped my face as we kissed. The boys whooped and cheered these were probably the best days of our life.