Chapter 1 Introduction

Hello and welcome to "The Golden Era of Bodybuilding."In this book I'll be talking about the qualities of a bodybuilder decades ago.Bodybuilding has now changed and looked at differently.It's sometimes looked at as a freak show.Because professional bodybuilders today are much bigger than back in the 60s to 80s.This is because of a bodybuilder named Dorian Yates hitting the stage.But I will talk about this in more detail later as I will talk more about the start of Bodybuilding.Bodybuilding originally started from strong men performing to impress audiences.This is because of the  massive amount of weights they could lift.

Eugen Sandow was one of the first to ever preform his muscularity on stage even though he was a power lifter.This seemed to have a bigger affect on the people and that's why Florenz Ziegfeld who is a member of the American Theater Hall of Fame got Sandow to display his muscles for a change in 1893.Sandow became the pioneer of bodybuilding.

He gained instant fame after winning a competiton in London in 1889.The competition he won was a strongmen competition beating the champion.

He was a big icon when it came to physical culture and spread it beyond people as he was participating in Florenz Ziegfeld's films and shows.

Sandow also had his own magazine named

"Physical Culture",eventually it was renamed "Sandows Magazine of Physical Culture" in 1899.

He tried to develope workout equipment such as resistant bands.

He was considered the father of bodybuilding as he developed his body into the Grecian ideal.His physique was developed in the proportions of a Greek statue and was considered a form of art.

Even winning the Mr Olympia,awards the competitive athlete with a trophy that looks like Eugen Sandow,it's simply known as The Sandow and was first awarded to a bodybuilder named Frank Zane in 1977.

Now I'll be talking about a famous bodybuilder named Larry Scott nicknamed "The Legend" because he was the first to ever win a Mr Olympia title.

He won a Mr Olympia title in 1965.And the year after that in 1966 and then retired.He won a number of titles before that such as Mr. Idaho in 1959.He was known for his great arm development at the time no athlete had arms like him.He was in all of Joe Weiders bodybuilding magazines.

Joe Weider was the founder of the IFBB,this is the International Federation of Bodybuilders.Joe Weider also set up and organised the Mr Olympia competition which is a competition made for professional bodybuilders.A bodybuilder can only compete in a competition like that if they have earned a pro card which indicates that bodybuilder is professional.

Joe Weider has also made magazines such as Fitness & Health,Flex,and Men's Fitness and shape.

He has funded bodybuilding in more ways than one and has helped the sport largely by developing workout equipment and supplements.