Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine:

Christmas Love

Ellie's Pov:

I slowly sat up, the blanket falling down, revealing my bare chest. I winced, sunlight shining through my bedroom window. I rubbed my eyes, sighing at the coldness that lingered in the quiet air. Looking to my side, I noticed that Sam wasn't there.

I pulled my hair from my face, letting it fall down my back. I grumbled, my throat feeling rather dry.

I pulled the covers back, rubbing my face in frustration. The last thing I remembered was her holding me until I fell asleep.

I finished dressing myself in comfortable wear, walking out into the hallway.

Closing the door behind me, I noticed it was silent, very unusual.

I scratched my side, listening to my footsteps as I walked down the swirling, long steps that lead to the first floor. "Mom?" I called out for her. No reply.

I peeked into the pool room, watching the calm water swoosh back and forth. I rubbed the back of my neck, continuing walking down the long hallway. The lounge, dining room and theater was also empty, causing my brow to raise in confusion.

I sluggishly walking into the living room, dropping myself on the long, overly comfortable couch. I rested my arm behind my head, pulling my phone from my pocket to check the time.

I sat up fast at the sound of throat clearing.

I made it back to my feet, walking into the kitchen. I stared at Sam who was casually having a cup of coffee with Nicole. I rested against the door frame, my leg crossed over the other, my hands in my pockets. "Morning." I greeted them both, only getting a glance from Sam, Nicole not even caring to turn her head. I chewed the inside of my cheek, noticing Sam didn't even give me the usual smile or even a slight grin.

"Hey, baby sister." Emma greeted me atleast as she walked into the kitchen with a bag of groceries. She set the bag ontop of the counter, Allison walking in seconds later with more bags. "What's all this?" I asked, peeling a banana that I was handed. "Christmas is in Four days. We had to get everything before every store in New York was ransacked." Allison said with a smile, walking back out, Emma following behind her to get the rest I assumed.

I walked over to the table, taking a seat next to Sam. She sighed sharply, giving me a look of annoyance. I bit my lip as she got up, mumbling something before quickly leaving the kitchen, leaving me alone with Nicole.

"Damn, she hates you." Nicole laughed, flipping the page of her newspaper. "No she doesn't..." I said with a sigh, confused as ever. "Then why'd she storm out of here when you sat next to her? I guess you are that ugly." I shot her a look of hatred. "You should be the last person calling someone ugly." I slapped her cup, smirking as it burned her face, spilling on her clothes and burning her torso. "I'm sure you'd embarrass Sam with all those stains on you, eh?" She was standing now, growling at me. She shook her hands, coffee falling off of them. "You're such an asshole!" I shrugged, biting my banana. "You're just jealous." She stated, her eyes ice cold.

I stood, tossing my banana peel into the garbage. I should've made her eat her own words of jealousy but I managed to bite my tongue. Nicole was the last thing on my mind right now. I needed to find Sam.

I quickly made my way upstairs, surprised to not be nauseous by my pace and all the swirling.

I made my way back down the hallway, passing the game room and the library. I stopped, seeing Sam laid out on one of the chairs, a book in her hand. I slowly entered the library, Sam looking up from her read with a blank expression. She closed her book, setting it on the table and sitting up. I stopped in front of her, feeling my stomach tighten for some reason. "Hey, Sammy."