Well You See...

When they decided to take a break, Joey again collapsed in the chair, wiping a small bead of sweat off his forehead; Don went upstairs to get more beer; Alan and Steven flanked me on the couch (Steven sitting closer than Alan was, though). Steven rested his arm on the back of the couch, technically around me, but not really touching my shoulders, and crossed his left leg over his right. Joey raised an eyebrow in my direction. As far as I know, no one but Steven and me know about last night.

I wink dramatically at Joey, who in turn looks taken aback. And right about then was when Steven's arm dropped from the back of the couch and landed on me.

"Did you guys hook up?" Don asks casually, tossing beers to his bandmates and fitting himself between Alan and me.

All the guys lean forward to hear our answer. But I don't have an answer. I don't know the answer. So I look to Steven, only to find that he's grinning down at me.

"Hello? Earth to Steven?" Alan says. Don chortles.

Steven blinks, looking away from me. "No," he says, removing his arm. No?

My face falls, but Alan cheers. "Yeah! Somebody call Barry! I was right and all you fucktar-"

Steven glances back at me, grimacing at the hurt look on my face. "We didn't hook up." He laughs. "We made out. And now we're hanging out. Not hooking up."

"You're mental," Alan said. "Did I win or not?"

"What?" I ask.

The boys look around at each other nervously, as though they had forgotten I was there. "They had this bet over whether or not you and I would end up... Like, together," Steven says. "Everyone but Alan was convinced it would happen." Steven's fingers find mine, lacing in between each other. "So, Alan," Steven continues, absently rubbing his thumb across the back of my hand, "I believe that you owe Joey, Barry, Peter, and Don each a six-pack of their choice of beer."

"What?" Alan demands.

"You lost, man," Steven says with a laugh. "We're together."

We're together.

I've got two boyfriends.

And Steven is one of them.

--

When I got home that night, before Mick came over (Joey just rode home with Steven and me), I started to hound Joey with questions. Unfortunately, he beat me to it, though.

"Steven?!" Joey demanded, pacing back and forth in front of me. I was lounged back on the couch with my feet on the coffee table. "Steven?!"

I shrug. "It just kinda happened..."

"I knew it was gonna happen." He pauses to study my reaction to that. I laugh. "How long've you liked him?"

I blink, thinking about it. "Since the show that Mick bought us tickets for," I finally answer

"Oh."

"Yeah..."

Joey gasps suddenly, resuming his pacing. "What about Anthony?"

I grimace.

"Are you gonna tell Steven that it just won't work?"

"Not... Exactly," I say slowly.

Joey's eyes almost jump out of his head. "You're gonna tell Anthony it won't work?"

I nod.