Chapter 10

Riptide shattered. A large explosion pushed both Ares and Percy back. While the first one stumbled few feet back and was now on the edge of the rock ledge, the other got thrown into wall so hard he created cracks and caused some rocks to fall. The whole cave was one strong punch away from falling down. The bridge on which two warriors fought just moments ago was now chipped in many places and looked really fragile now. It was a miracle or magic that it didn't shatter already. Same could be said for the ledge. Cracks were going on. If fight carried on, both participants could quickly find themselves tumbling down the darkness, which brought Percy some unhappy memories of Tartarus. Memories he did not want to relive. Ever!

Explosion itself was not the only effect of Riptide being shattered. Now in place where it happened was a swirling pillar of energy. The celestial bronze parts floated in the air and slowly dissolved into light blue-ish mist. Both Ares and Percy watched the whole ordeal in silence, too intrigued or stunned to act. The mist circled the pillar, slowly being sucked inside. At first the bright light made it impossible to see what was really happening inside, but the shine slowly died to reveal body of a woman laying in place of the combat. She had copper-colored skin and long, dark hair weaved into single braid going over her shoulder and reaching up to her waist. The woman was also completely naked. Percy couldn't see her face, but she seemed familiar. Ares was first to actually speak.

"What is this? What is she doing here?" He seemed very confused at the whole thing. "Doesn't matter. I was planning on ending you punk anyway. She will serve as a nice... reward." Even under the flaming mask of the helmet Ares wore, Percy could see the sick, twisted grin. This gave him new energy. His inner hero kicked in. Demigod jumped and stepped in front of the woman, summoning his trident and grabbing it firmly with both hands. He locked his gaze on the enemy not having chance to see who he was even protecting. The god of War gave him a small chuckle. "Ah. Always a hero, eh punk? It changes nothing. You can't win."

Percy thought quickly about his situation. His mind still in battle mode, but it gave little advantage given how fast Ares acted. It was different from when they battled all this years ago at the beach. Back then, while still one of the toughest opponents Percy faced, Ares was much weaker than this. It was like back then he was holding back, underestimating him. And back then I had a sea next to me... Right now the god of war was going on in full. While Percy got much stronger, Ares used everything on his disposal. But there was more to it. It seemed like he changed. Gone was the dumb brute and in his place came a trained soldier. While still cruel and somewhat ignorant, this Ares was definitely more intelligent. He didn't rely on pure strength. There was some tactic behind his style. The terrain was also to his disadvantage. Not enough water close enough to actually do anything. But many rocks right here!

"You are right." This actually surprised the god. He expected and hoped that Percy would fight till the end. While executing him was still fun, it was also disappointing. But there was more. The way he said it meant there was more. After brief pause the demigod readied himself. "But I can make sure you loose. I can bring the cave down and send us all down. Me and her might die, but at least I will take you with me!" To prove his words, Percy twirled the trident so that he could easily plunge it into one of the larger cracks. The top of three-pronged spear started vibrating with tremor energy.

"You're a fool Perseus. I will flash myself away. You will accomplish nothing except killing yourself and her." Ares summoned his twin golden swords. They now burned with red flame.

"Maybe, but it is better than whatever you prepared. I am ready to face Uncle H." Percy tried to bluff himself out of the situation like Annabeth did so many times, but deep down, he made peace with his decision.

Hero's Journey (A Percy Jackson X Young Justice Crossover)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara