Chapter 22

A/N Let's get this party started. An epic, three-part grande finale to my story. Romance, blood, amazing battles and total and utter OP-ness. I love writing stuff in DC universe, because no matter how OP a character is, there is always a bigger fish.

The poll is closed. More about it in the note at the end of this chapter.

Mount Justice
November 14, 10:36

The whole team was watching the news with worry. They knew what this meant. By declaring the war, Qurac was now alone in the war. Because of this act of aggression, the UN issued a series of embargo and sanctions on the country. All the humanitarian support went to Bialya, whose ambassador was quick to ensure they were all seen as a victims of warmongering neighbor. It was barely 24 hours and there were already countless civilian casualties. It was like a whole nation was suddenly under mind control.

On the screen next to the newsfeed was an open channel with Captain Atom. He was standing in private room of the Justice League in UN headquarter. "We are facing a global crisis here. Qurac has some strong support in UN. Many see their preventive attack as just. At the same time, Bialya is pushing for intervention of international peacekeeping forces. The tensions are high and it will only get worse. Justice League was banned from entering territory of either country. We can't even come near the embassies."

"Actions of Noor Harjavti are even stranger when you consider that three days ago, she was a firm supporter of her father and his policy of peace. We suspect this was planned by Queen Bee from the beginning."

"Provoke the attack so that the world would support her and then annex the other part. Miss President is talking about one nation, playing into her Cassus Belli." Aqualad spoke, explaining to those not into politics. *khe* Percy *Khe*

"Exactly. We need you to get to Dhabar and investigate. We need to know that this is not some sophisticated scheme. Villains are getting more crafty as of lately. And please. Be careful. War is not like your day-to-day crime fighting. It's anything but what they show in those movies. If you are caught, the League will have no choice but to disown you. You will be on your own there. If someone wants to back out, now is the only time."

Nobody moved an inch. They mulled the idea over in their head. this was going to be more dangerous than anything before. Everyone but Percy. "I am going."

"Me too." Zoe joined him. The others were about to walk to them, but Percy made a hand gesture and stopped them.

"Before you make rush decisions, let me tell you some things. War is not black and white like what you usually do. There are good people on both sides, doing their best for what they consider the 'just cause'. This includes killing. If we go we are almost sure to encounter death. Like captain said, it's anything but glorious images in movies. Nobody can guarantee that everyone will make it back. Just because we are supposed to be doing only infiltration, does not mean it will be any less dangerous. We will be intruders on foreign soil. Enemy which they will kill on sight. Age, parentage, intentions, love... this things does not matter. The only thing that had value are skill, experience and willpower." Names of his friends that died in the wars back in his worlds flashed in his mind. Silena, Beckendorf, Luke, Bianca, Damasen, Castor, Bob... He had a tear in his eye, but he held his posture. "It's kill or be killed. Sometimes, sacrifice is unavoidable if you want to survive. I advice you to stay here. Me and Zoe will do it. Alone. Smaller team will have easier time anyway."

Others looked stunned. The weight of his words were still ringing in their ears. They thought they were fully ready, but now they started to doubt. Could they survive? What would happen if one of them died? Would they really be ready to kill someone to save another life? The saw the subtle change in Percy's posture when he spoke. He was no longer happy or careless like usual. The most visible change were his eyes. The spark that was always there was now dimmed. He looked... tired. Like this old people in veterans' houses.