The Chase

No one's P.O.V

'There quiet, they know I'm here!' Fern thought as she back away slowly. It was faint, but there were light footsteps coming towards the door. 'Thank you sensitive hearing!' She cheers in her head as her fingertips brush over the closet doorknob. No sooner than she is inside, Rex and Waxer come through the door, blasters at the ready and helmets on. They share a look before cautiously moving down the hallway.

Rex signalled he was going upstairs as Waxer continued forward.

From inside the closet, Fern watched with baited breath as he walked by, looking at the shadow he cast as he did so. She gasped softly as she saw the armour and blaster.

That soft gasp caught Waxer's attention, causing him to slowly creep towards the closet.

Now, the thing to know about Fern is that she acts very much like a snake when it comes to defence. Meaning she prefers to avoid conflict by either running or making false threats. However, she isn't about to shy away from using force anytime soon.

Fern, who was now having a mild panic attack, was trying to slow her breathing as the intruder came closer. Her survival instinct came in strong as the doors open and Waxer went to grab her.

Big mistake on his end.

She didn't scream, no, what she did was flip around in Waxer's grasp, so that her back was on his chest, and shoved them both back as hard as she could against the wall. This made his helmet fall off and that didn't go unnoticed by Fern. 

Let's just say that, after the right hook she just gave him, he'll want an ice pack and some painkillers.

He yelled in pain and dropped her as he stumbled back, holding his quickly bruising neck. This gave her the chance to get up and run...

Until Jesse came out of the Kitchen.

Her socks made her slide against the laminate flooring into his grasp and he pushed her up against the wall. However, she was not done yet. She freed her arm and, from Jesse's point of view, dislocated it in an attempt to scratch him. And it worked.

Now it was Echo's turn to try and stop her, the keyword there being 'try'

He grabbed her and put his hand over her mouth. Again, big mistake. 

She bit him, hard. Echo yelled in shock and loosened his grip enough for Fern to wiggle out. But now she was backed into a corner. Rex came back downstairs just as Kix, Hardcase, Fives and Cody came in to help their brothers. As Kix went to help his brothers, Rex, Cody, Fives and Hardcase raised their blasters on the girl.

Fern, however, was having a full-blown meltdown, wide eyes, rivers of tears and curled up into a ball rocking back and forth in an attempt to calm herself. Fives took a step forward but was cut off by Kix. "Wait, you're scaring her!"

"Scaring her!?! She bit me!" Cried Echo.

"And she punched Waxer!" Added Jesse, cradling his scratched cheek.

"You're not in charge here, Kix!" The Captain replied, seeing her as a threat to his brothers.

"Sir, with all due respect, she is simply acting defensively. She unarmed and out-numbered!" The medic tried to reason with his captain, and it worked. The clones shared a look then lowered their weapons and took a step back. Kix came forward and crouched down about a foot away from the girl.

"Hey, kid?" Her eyes snapping to the person who dared get close to her. "I'm Kix." He took off his helmet. She scanned him, finding his shaved hair and tattoos on his head interesting. "Can you tell us your name?" She was silent, not trusting the males in the room as her eyes darted around. Kix sighed. "Well, can you at least tell us where we are?" He tried again to get something out of the girl but was met with silence once again. "How about we all calm down and talk, alright?" He suggested, and Fern nodded.