Unplanned Travel To 1958

"Holy Shit. This feels like a deleted scene from Tomorrowland." I assured myself to cloud my already confused thoughts full of theories.

I stood up and looked around. I quickly felt the back pocket of my ripped jeans and huffed a huge sigh of relief, because I also have my smartphone with me.

I started waking a few paces when somebody tapped me on my shoulder. I quickly turned around only to be greeted by a warm smile from a woman looking at least in her thirties. She had blonde hair and pale skin, in contrast to my dark hair and light honey-like skin.

I am definitely not of pure blood which means that I'm half something else other than being an American, specifically a New Yorker, but my parents won't tell me what nationality my other half is. Which kinda sucks considering every child has the right to know basic information from their own parents, like their own bloodline. I should run as a politician soon, and pass that as an amendment. After seventeen years of observation, I strongly think that I don't resemble Elise or my mom. My parents seem to look like a classic American couple. Thinking about that, I might be adopted. But that's not the biggest problem at hand...

My thoughts were interrupted when the blonde girl started speaking to me. "Dana, right on time! I know that pretty face when I see one--uh... What on Earth are you wearing?" She sounded British to me.

"Umm. It's my new... Style? I'm going through a phase, I guess?" That was a bad cover up.

"Oh. Haha. Sure. It's just peculiar." She eyed my outfit. "How'd you get clothes like these?" She asked me as she lead me towards God knows were.

"Um, first of all, I think I might've hit my head a little too hard. Might I ask for your name?" I don't know this chick at all.

"Uh, 'scuse me. My name?"

"Y...ess. Your name... Please?" I embarrassingly said.

"I'm Amber Smith. Your manager for two months now. Jet lag must've took a toll on ya."

"OOooh okayy. Tell me why we're here?" My manager? God, what am I exactly doing here?

"We planned to meet nearby Atlantic Studios at 1841 Broadway, which where we actually did a few minutes ago. We have an appointment today."

"Oh." I said still very confused.

"What?" Amber asked.

"What year is it?"

"You're one odd child." She didn't even answer my question.

We passed by a newspaper stand and I took a newsprint quickly scanning the paper. I saw that it is February 4, 1958 today. Wow, that's so much behind my actual birth date. I hope the aliens stop giving me interstellar crack. I need to wake up from this madness.

We walked for two more blocks. I observed how the busy streets of the Big Apple is still quite... Rowdy. Nothing changed even the traffic here's so chaotic which is still quite similar for the present time of 2019.

We stopped outside a building with bold signs saying "Atlantic Records". Wait. Thee Atlantic Records??? Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, and even Cardi B got signed here!

"We have an appointment HERE?" I asked her while I pointed at the legendary building.

"Absolutely, darling. You'll show those corporate blokes how you do your thing!" Amber confidently said.

"But HOW?"

"I gave them a sample of your art a few months ago and they opened their arms to finally see a star in action. They want you to record in their studio today. Uh, are ya sure ya haven't taken any uppers lately?" She explained.

"Oh God no. This is just... Wow." This must be the best dream ever.

Amber and I entered the building and was soon entertained by the receptionist. Ten minutes later, we were called by an assistant to follow her. We entered a large elevator that stopped at a large hall towards a large door that lead to another large hall. The assistant stopped us at a double door with a sign saying "Recording Studio".

As the door opened, I saw at least five men and women who seem to be A&Rs and producers seated behind a large recording and mixing panel. Now this is a nerve-wracking situation.

"Ah the star of the show! Miss Reyes it's my pleasure to welcome you here at the world famous Atlantic Records' studio!" A man in a retro looking business suit shook my hand while saying so. Me? Miss REYES? What the hell is a Reyes? Who the hell is a Reyes? Last time I remember my last name was Collins.

"I'm Tim Bergers, one of the the producers here at Atlantic Records. Show us what you got, Miss Reyes." And with that, he opened the smaller door to the sound proof room. I entered it and made a good scan for an instrument.

I'll be playing to some big people and I was just informed about it, like, an hour ago. And I still don't have any idea what the actual hell is happening to me or why I'm here decades in the past. This must be some bat shit crazy dream.

//December 2019//
ELISE'S POV

Holy macaroni. It literally blacked out a few minutes ago. It was in the news, the radio, everywhere! The worldwide black out was the talk of the town ever since it happened. People have been posting on social media about it, and it's getting really annoying now. But I still couldn't move on to the fact that my older sister just disappeared when all THAT happened. I looked for her everywhere, I even called her phone thousands of times now. God, I can't tell mom and dad that she's GONE gone. She must've ran away during the black out or something. Dana, you're scaring me. I looked at my phone and saw that it's 6:07pm now. I went to Donny's room to find him crying in the babysitter's arms. Oh, Dana where are you?

//February 1958//
DANA'S POV

I looked around the room to see some recognisable instruments like the acoustic guitar, a drum kit, a bass guitar, an electric guitar, and a grand piano. I just resorted to taking my most trusted instrument, the acoustic guitar. I took the guitar from its stand and strummed a few chords to prepare. I approached the microphone and internalised on what I'm about to do. Holy shit I'm about to sing to a bunch of big time spectators. Here goes nothing.

"Ready when you are, Miss Reyes." Tim said through the mic from their side of the booth.

"This song is called Fix You... Uh, I wrote it." Damn all the lies. This is illegal.
I took a deep breath and started strumming,
"When you try your best but you don't succeed
When you get what you want but not what you need
When you feel so tired but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse
When the tears come streaming down your face
'Cause you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone but it goes to waste
What could it be worse?
Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you
But high up above or down below
When you are too in love to let it show
Oh but if you never try you'll never know
Just what you're worth
Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you
Tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you cannot replace
oh and tears come streaming down your face
And I
Tears streaming down your face
I promise you I will learn from all my mistakes
oh and the tears streaming down your face
And I
Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you"

I opened my eyes to see their reactions. The ladies were in tears, and everyone started clapping their hands. Wow. So this is how accomplishment feels.