3 ~ The Winners

"In third place, duck no. 241, bought by a Mr Ugliano!" There was a cheer, and a fat man pushed past them, almost knocking Estelle over. The man looked like a tuskless walrus, with a double-chin and a bald head with three black hairs combed over. He stank of cigars, tobacco and alcohol. He clutched several strips of duck tickets in one meaty hand.

Mr Ugliano practically snatched the prize and returned to a group of equally fat, equally smelly men, waving the cash around. His loud gloating almost drowned out the next announcement.

"In second place, duck no. 54, bought by Miss E Blofis." There was a moment of silence, then Estelle was bouncing up and down and squealing and suddenly Sally and Paul were behind them and Sally was hugging her and Paul was clapping her on the back, and Sally was giving Percy that secret little smile that said I'm proud of you, and then the prize giver was handing Estelle 15 dollars, and asking if she wanted to keep her duck, and yes, she did want to keep her duck, and then she kept squealing so that they didn't hear who won first place, but it didn't matter. None of it mattered, because Percy had made his adorable little sister happy.

"But don't go anywhere just yet, ladies and gentlemen, because we have one prize left for the duck that came in last! And this slow coach was duck no. 52, belonging to a Mr Blofis!"

There was an outbreak of laughter as she held up the duck in all its racing glory, but Estelle laughed loudest.

"I told you you would lose, daddy!" She squealed as he began tickling her in revenge.

Sally glanced at Percy, eyebrows raised, and when he shook his head - he hadn't touched Paul's duck - she burst out laughing too. Percy ended up having to collect the prize, because the rest of his family were in hysterics.

And he finished all the cotton candy.