Chapter 2: "Shadow"

There was no way she was pregnant

Gia couldn't remember the last time her and Robert had even had sex.

But she bit down hard on her lower lip, also realizing she was still waiting for her period that month.

She headed mindlessly towards the back of the store, leaving the wet floor sign over the spill. It wasn't that she believed the woman but there was something about the way she said it that left Gia feeling uneasy.

"Hey!" A hand reached out and grabbed her arm. Trey had been approaching her and she hadn't even realized.

"Trucks unloaded. I'm gonna go grab a smoke." He says putting the cigarette in his fingers behind his ear and taking his unopened cola that was still in her hand.

He opens the lid and takes a long sip looking at her.

Gia Felt dazed and she guessed maybe it showed.

"You ok," he asks, looking at her with genuine concern. "You look like you're going to be sick."

"Excuse me," Gia says, shoving her soda bottle and the 5 dollars at him, both still in her hand.

"I'll pay for these," he called to her retreating back, looking confused.

She held up a hand in acknowledgement that she had heard him but kept going, making a detour toward the back of aisle 8b where condoms and pregnancy tests sat across from diapers and baby formula.

Grateful the aisle was empty, Gia grabbed the first box she saw and headed to the restrooms hoping no one had seen.

In the handicap stall of the restroom, Gia stared at the box that guaranteed results in two minutes. She knew that amount of time had passed but she wasn't prepared to look. All the possibilities flashed through her mind if the test turned out positive but to her own surprise, Robert's reaction was not first on her mind.

It was of her estranged father, Giovanni.

Gia hadn't spoken to him in over four years but if she was pregnant she would have to let him know. Gia knew it was wishful thinking to hope that maybe then he would start seeing her as an adult and respect the decision she made to be with Robert instead of someone he had handpicked. But she also knew she couldn't hide a grandchild from him and financially she would need his support. Her and Robert were comfortable but they wouldn't be able to afford a baby on their salaries.

"Your father knows best."

It would be the perfect opportunity for him to say "I told you so". A chance he never missed.

She took a deep breath before looking at the test. She knew that if it read positive it meant it she'd have to swallow her pride and reconcile with her father. She also was aware that there was a possibility jher father wouldn't want to speak with her, pregnant or not.