Chapter 17: "Hold It Against Me"

Gia dreamed of Evan

Gia dreamed of Evan.

She was staring up at him on the pillar in the middle of Curfew but the room was empty save themselves. Instead, the club was filled with colorful strobe lights and dancing shadows with no discernible face. Only blurry details of what should have been.

"Get down," she yelled out. "You'll hurt yourself!"

But Evan couldn't hear her over banging rocknroll music coming from the DJ booth. He stared above, up to the sky, with arms stretched out wide. She continued to yell from her spot on the dance floor of which she was unable to move. Suddenly Evan looked down to her and the moment they locked eyes, he pinched his nose as if going for a swim and dove from the top of the pillar. Gia screamed until they landed together in her soft penthouse bed, floating in an indistinct room. Evan rolled on top of her, pinning her arms above her head and kissing her gently. He bit down on her bottom lip before he started unabashedly tickling her instead. Gia screamed in delirious delight, trying to roll from under his grasp.

"Get up," he said at the same time letting her go.

Gia, who had been thrashing under his torture, rolled over instinctively to put distance between them and landed painfully on the floor.

"Rise and shine, princess."

This was voice was real and harsher and had come from inside her bedroom.

Gia groaned from the floor of her penthouse, her body aching from the impact of falling from the bed.

"Time to get a move on."

She heard Carmine's voice from somewhere above her. She had to blink several times to realize where she was.

"You got a long day ahead of you," he said and Gia groaned again before sitting up on the floor, waiting for the room to stop spinning.

"Did you just push me out of the bed," she asked, biting back her anger.

"I pushed you awake," she heard him answer as his feet came into view in front of her. "You rolled out of the bed."

He squatted down in front of her, pressing a finger under her chin that she quickly swiped away.

"Seems you've been through worse," he remarked, alluding to her facial contusions.

Gia tried to push him away but the contact had little physical impact. He stood up on his own accord and she followed suit, using the bed for assistance.

"Why are you here," she asked, but no sooner had the sentence left her mouth that she remembered.

The sit down.

The one and only time she had ever been involved in a sit down was in the middle of her own graduation dinner. It was then she had been informed of her betrothal to Carmine, who sat across from her at the time in smug regard. Gia had left the restaurant mid-dessert, packed her things and was gone to Philadelphia before her father had returned home.