Chapter 3: "Break the Ice"

After she ran out of tears, a numb feeling creeped up inside her

After she ran out of tears, a numb feeling creeped up inside her. She felt like she was in a bad dream and all she wanted was to lay down and start her day all over.

She wiped her sniffling nose with a ball of toilet paper and used the tissue to dispose of the strange underwear on her floor, dumping it in the small garbage pail next to the toilet. She wished she could throw out the implications along with it.

She shoved the clothes back inside the hamper and opened the medicine cabinet, taking two aspirin and abandoning her chore to go to bed.

Falling asleep wasn't difficult and her eyes fluttered open the next morning, sunshine peeking through the cracks in the curtain. She could hear the morning birds chirping and the city seemed untraditionally quiet. Without checking the time, Gia knew it was the early morning hours and she snuggled back into her pillow, forgetting momentarily about all of yesterday's trouble.

That was until a reminder rolled over in the bed behind her, Robert wrapping his arm around her similar to the night before only this morning he was feeling promiscuous. Robert began to rub at her breasts through her nightshirt. The sensation sprung her nipples to life and, it had been so long that he had touched her, she had no control over the small moaned that escaped her lips. A pool formed immediately in her belly. For a moment, they were at the start of their relationship again, when everything was new and exciting for her. When she thought she had met her Prince Charming...

Gia couldn't even pinpoint a moment as to why they had grown apart. It was as if she blinked and it happened. Then, yesterday's events came rushing back to mind. His late night, her early morning. A spooky old woman and a pregnancy test. Another woman's underwear.

"You should call out sick today," he whispers. She could feel him growing excited behind her, reacting to her body's response. He brings his hand beneath her shirt and grabs her bare breasts, pinching her erect nipples.

She turns around, needing to stop the physical interaction. His eyes blinked open, sun rays directly on his face.

She wanted to confront him but what would that accomplish? She would still be pregnant and it wouldn't change the fact that he had cheated. Gia felt some consolation that he was waking up with her. There may be cracks in the foundation, but their bond was strong. Robert knew all she had sacrificed just to be with him and this other woman, whoever she was, would only amount to a fling.

Gia resisted the urge once again to just tell him her secret. It was dying to come out and now she was hopeful, once it was, that it would right whatever wrongs existed between them. But if she told him in bad timing, she would only make things worse. It would have to be revealed in a perfect way, a way that would relight the spark that had brought them together in the first place.

"Love you," he said, pulling her closer to grip her backside in lieu of her breasts.

It was all Gia wanted to hear. She grabbed the sides of his face and kissed him sweetly, trying to convey without words how much she cared for him. They acted like grown-ups but they both still had a lot of growing to do. The baby was going to inevitably change everything and Gia decided to leave yesterday behind her so she could focus on their future.