Chapter 21: "Me Against the Music"

The radio came on with the car engine but Gia quickly turned it off

The radio came on with the car engine but Gia quickly turned it off. She was already trying to keep her anxiousness at bay with her fear of driving and the plan she hoped to execute in addition to stealing the Don's car. She couldn't afford any added distractions.

She pulled slowly from the complex, sure to close both the garage door and the front gates after wrestling with several button options. The streets felt odd to her, it had been so long since she drove on them but the further away from her home she went, the lighter her chest felt. It was as if the freedom that went along with being behind the wheel of car extended into her emotional prison as well. A subtle reminder that she was in control of her destiny no matter how much her father tried to command her.

Gia knew these New Jersey roads well which contributed to her sense of tranquility. They were the streets she had traveled everyday as a girl, the same roads she had practiced driving with her learner's permit and that she knew like the back of her hand. It was nothing like driving in Philadelphia where she always felt lost and overwhelmed by the endless barrage of traffic and road rage.

Gia crossed over the highway that separated her neighborhood from the tourists spots and the last of her nervousness left her. She felt, for a moment, that sense of normalcy, driving to the shore to enjoy the last official day of summer and Gia had to admit she was grateful to see the season change. It was as if today would be a cleansing for her, a baptism into a new life and she hoped it would start with her at the helm.

She ventured to take a single hand from the steering wheel and switched on the radio. It was rare for her to play it as it was the cause of her accident all those years ago but she felt comfortable enough in the moment and had tired of hearing her own thoughts replaying.

She cautiously hit the scan button, trying to find a more youthful station then what her father had programmed but also keeping both eyes on the road. She stopped her search when she heard a radio DJ say some familiar names.

"Coming up next on the hour, we have your most requested song of the week from up and coming rapper Young Beau and featuring none other than Brittany," the man announced, sounding more excited than he probably was for the audience Brittany generally performed for.

"I love her," a woman broke in, whose voice sounded a little more genuine.

"It's a great track," the DJ said. "I have not been able to get it out of my head since the label first played it for me and our listeners just keep voting for it."

"The whole world is going to be bumping to this one," the woman agreed.

"Stay tuned," the DJ continued, "because after your most requested songs Sarah here will update us on all the latest celebrity gossip. What's going down in Hollyweird?"

"Well, speaking of Brittany," Sarah drew out suspensefully. "Many of her East Coast fans know she just had a promotional show in New York for her upcoming tour with Young Beau."