Chapter 8 - Borrowed

12 Hours Before The Event

The sound of a machine measuring a heartbeat filled William's ears. Pain filled William's throat as he tried to breathe. William groaned softly as he began to open his eyes. Bright light filled his eyes and William squinted afterward. William tried to move his hands, but felt the weight of his fingers push them back. He then turned his head to the side and felt a shock of pain flow throughout his body. William yelled out in pain and fully opened his eyes. William then faced the machine measuring his heartbeat.

"Beep, Beep, Beep", the machine repeated in an annoying rhythm. William then realized that he was lying on a hospital bed. He looked around in a panic, ignoring the pain throughout his body. He then noticed that Ivan was facing him as he sat next to him with tears in his eyes. "W-what's going on?", William asked in a weak voice. Ivan sighed and covered his mouth with his fist. William looked at Ivan confused. "Ivan?", William asked while looking at himself. William then noticed how his skin tone was more pale than usual.

William looked back at Ivan while breathing roughly. A tear streamed down Ivan's cheek as a soft whimper escaped Ivan's mouth. Ivan wiped his tear away with his hand and exhaled. William started to get up with the pain throughout his body disappearing. William saw his breath escape his mouth. He then shivered as he crossed his arms and moved his hands up and down. William got off the hospital bed and faced Ivan. "Hey Will... I don't know if you can hear me or not but-", Ivan started to say as he grabbed William's hand.

"We really need you to wake up... I need you", Ivan admitted with his voice breaking. Ivan then squeezed William's hand tightly. William watched as his hand got entangled in Ivan's hand. He looked at himself as he saw a white glow surrounding his body. "Not this again", William whispered to himself, focusing his attention back on Ivan. William then walked over to Ivan and hesitated to touch Ivan's shoulder. He pulled back and looked at Ivan with a worried look. "I can't risk anything", William said to himself, worried of what could happen if he touched Ivan.

"But you will", a voice called out to William. William looked away from Ivan and throughout the room. "Who's there?", William called out. "You will risk everything", the voice returned with a distorted voice with the machine flatlining. William's eyes widened as the lights of the room went out with darkness consuming the room. William looked around with the noise of the machine flatlining ringing in his ears. He then noticed how light pointed at the hospital bed where William's body remained.

William's shaky breath was heard as he started to step closer to the hospital bed. "What do you want from me?", William called out to his body as he grabbed the side of the bed tightly. William then heard the machine measuring heartbeats again. The eyes of William's body opened wide, being filled with red light. The veins from throughout William's body became visible as his eyes started to turn bright white. The machine started to measure rapid heartbeats as William started to back away. A distorted William sprung into action by wrapping a hand around the other William's neck while letting out a crazed scream.

William opened his eyes in reality. A terrified yell escaped his mouth as he stood up from the ground. He looked around the area in a panic. Ivan appeared at his side with a worried look on his face. "H-hey you're ok, I'm here", Ivan said, grabbing onto William's arm. William looked Ivan in the eyes and relaxed his breathing. William then grabbed onto Ivan's arm and nodded his head. "Bad dream?", Ivan asked with a soft voice. "Worse than a nightmare", William admitted. "Huh, worse than a wet dream?", Ivan joked. "You're disgusting", William said with a serious face.