Chapter 30 - Broken or Bent

"I'm alive", the thought bloomed within William's mind. He felt the weight of his fingers pushing down on him. His fingers felt around the green grass below him.

Fresh air went through his nose and out his mouth. The noises of wildlife filled his ears as his head shifted to the side. A soft groan escaped William as he slowly opened his eyes.

An unconscious Ivan laid a few feet away from him. William's eyes widened as he sprung to his feet, running over to his friend. He shook his body, hoping that he was still alive.

After a few moments, Ivan came to. He saw William in front of him, a panicked expression immediately appearing on his face.

"Get away from me-", Ivan began, crawling up against a tree. "Hey hey hey-", William entangled his hand in Ivan's. "It's me", he said in a soft voice. Ivan felt around his hand and squeezed it tightly.

Suddenly, Ivan sprung his arms around William. He hugged back and Ivan dug his head into William's shoulder.

"What happened?", William asked. Ivan looked up and saw a blue sky with white clouds. "I think we won."

Back at the park, Ivy was the only one there. She stood up and walked over to the destroyed statue. A small bit of hope that Derek was still alive filled her mind.

The remains of the device were scattered all over the ground. The small piece of hope vanished when she didn't see Derek in sight. She dropped to her knees and picked up a piece with shaking hands.

Cindy ran into the area and saw Ivy on the ground. She approached and looked over her shoulder.

"I don't understand", Cindy muttered. Ivy looked up and deep into Cindy's eyes. "Derek didn't make him", she whispered. Cindy's air was caught in her throat as that sentence finished.

Footsteps were heard approaching them. They turned around and saw William and Ivan run up to them. Before they said anything, tears streamed down Cindy's face like a river.

She fell into Ivan's arms. William looked at Ivy and anger began boiling. As he was about to speak, he met Ivy's eyes filled with tears.

"They didn't make it", Ivan realized. William shook his head, trying to avoid the realization. He looked all around him, hoping that Derek and Devin would appear.

Suddenly, William bolted out of the area. Ivan called out to him, but it was too late. As William ran down the streets that were too familiar, all the past events filled his mind.

Derek's laughter was heard in his ears. Devin smiled at him from within a memory.

As he ran past the abandoned house, cars froze in place. Everything seemed to slow down as a green glow traced around his body. He ran onto the street where Devin's house stood.

William stopped running, his glow disappearing. In front of him stood an empty house with no one living inside. He fought back his tears as it began to set in.

He shook his head as he continued running. He ran onto another street, looking around for the home he lived in. He stopped searching when the familiar color caught his eye.

He ran up the doorstep and rapped his fist against the door, calling out for his mom. The doorknob twisted and a unfamiliar woman appeared. William backed away in confusion.

"Who are you?", the woman opened the door. "Umm, you're not my mom", William said. A man, a few inches taller, appeared beside her. "What can we do for you, kid?"

"My mom is supposed to be here, I live here", William explained. The couple looked at each other with confused expressions. "I'm sorry, but we've been living here for years, maybe you got the wrong address?", the woman responded.